Frame CJ7 to CJ8 length

Frame CJ7 to CJ8 length

silver97

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
82 cj7, 258, tf999, d300, d44, ford8.8
I read that overall a CJ 8 is 24 inches longer than a CJ7. So if i cut the frame somewhere before the rear tires where it is straight and the body at the best location and added 24" of material I could fit a CJ8 soft top and have a wheelbase of 117". How would that look? I was thinking of doing that to a YJ frame I have. I also have 2 CJ7 bodies and a yj body to get pieces from.

Maybe just buy a CJ8 ? But hay it’s your Jeeps so go for it ! Just post lots of pictures because I think this will be a interesting thread to watch.

There's a lot more involved than just cutting and welding not to mention when you weld a frame it creates a weak point and will crack.

Your better off getting a CJ 8 and restoring it or at the very least getting a CJ 8 frame or a custom built one.

I have a friend who did something similar with a TJ trying to build a brute and his frame is cracked so now he is buying a new custom built frame. Something's should just not be done and splicing a frame is one of those. Splicing the sheet metal on the tub isn't terrible but even there you have to be really cautious as to where and how you cut and splice.

Sent from my E7110 using Tapatalk

• Thanks for the Post!
Reactions: CJ
Before you go cutting and welding, double check your research information. IIRC the wheelbase difference is just under 10", and overall length is closer to 30"

Maybe just buy a CJ8 ? But hay it’s your Jeeps so go for it ! Just post lots of pictures because I think this will be a interesting thread to watch.
I wouldn't even consider this if I did not have the extra tubs, frame and steel laying around. The only thing I have to buy is the soft top. A decent CJ8 is around 10k

There's a lot more involved than just cutting and welding not to mention when you weld a frame it creates a weak point and will crack.

Your better off getting a CJ 8 and restoring it or at the very least getting a CJ 8 frame or a custom built one.

I have a friend who did something similar with a TJ trying to build a brute and his frame is cracked so now he is buying a new custom built frame. Something's should just not be done and splicing a frame is one of those. Splicing the sheet metal on the tub isn't terrible but even there you have to be really cautious as to where and how you cut and splice.

I would not just butt weld the frame pieces in. There would be steel channel slid inside with plug welds, It would also be plated outside that extends way past the joints

I would not just butt weld the frame pieces in. There would be steel channel slid inside with plug welds, It would also be plated outside that extends way past the joints
Nice, your experienced. Keep us updated.

I would buy a CJ8 top first. Use the top to get the correct measurements
All the dimension should be available online. I'd take measurements for you but I sold my CJ 8 last year

:popcorn::popcorn: Just remember we love pictures silver97.

• Thanks for the Post!
Reactions: CJ
The middle is the best place to cut IMO. That's where I cut my CJ5 to make a 6. The frame is straight, and 2 pieces each of 3/16", 1/8" C-channel slides together perfectly to match the factory frame. I fish plated inside the frame mating surface and outside for a solid connection. Adding the filler body if you decide to go that route isn't as hard as you would think but time consuming. Hope this helps.

The middle is the best place to cut IMO. That's where I cut my CJ5 to make a 6. The frame is straight, and 2 pieces each of 3/16", 1/8" C-channel slides together perfectly to match the factory frame. I fish plated inside the frame mating surface and outside for a solid connection. Adding the filler body if you decide to go that route isn't as hard as you would think but time consuming. Hope this helps.
Yes I was thinking about something like that. I was going to use a yj frame. I have a nice yj tub that I was going to cut in the rear fender area. I was going to get the splice piece out of a rusty CJ7 tub. I have some TNT custom CJ7 corner guards that I was going to cut and splice with 3/16 plate. That would cover over any imperfections in the tub splices. I would have to maybe add some channel under the body to support the splice and a crossmember on the frame.

Keep in mind a YJ frame is different from a CJ 7 frame. While the tubs almost identical with a few exceptions the frame is a different animal

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks