Cj7 suspension height?

Cj7 suspension height?

Dep

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1985 CJ7, 258/4 speed.
Can anyone tell me (pic attached) if my jeep has a suspension lift on it? The PO had owned it for about 15+ years before I bought it from him. He listed everything that he had done to it, but never mentioned if he had added any type of lift. From the pics it looks like it does. The back is roughly 8" from the tire to the flare, the front is just under 6". The tires are 32" tall. Anybody with a rough guess? thanks, Kenny

Attachments

• IMG_1966.jpg
    IMG_1966.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 315
  • IMG_1965.jpg
    IMG_1965.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 366
  • IMG_1964.jpg
    IMG_1964.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 813
  • IMG_1962.jpg
    IMG_1962.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 1,115
He has lift shackle on it.. Measure the length from bolt to bolt I think stock xj's are 3" on center. Looks to me like it may have stock springs on it. Once you figure out how how big those are you can see how much lift is on it.

Jimbo, I just measured them and they are 5" from center to center...

if they are 5" bolt to bolt then thats a 1" shackle lift. Stock CJ springs normally look flatter then those.. a 1" lift on a CJ should clear 32's but not with 6-8" of room.. Id clean the springs and look for part numbers or markings that show they are aftermarket. can you post pics of the spring eye.. thats the area where the bushings and bolts go into. Spring mount and shackle mount pics would be the most usefull.

That looks like a 4" suspension in conjunction with the longer shackles...

Sorry, here they are.

Attachments

• IMG_1976.jpg
    IMG_1976.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 291
  • IMG_1977.jpg
    IMG_1977.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 329
  • IMG_1978.jpg
    IMG_1978.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 263
  • IMG_1981.jpg
    IMG_1981.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 272
Measured from the bottom of the tub its roughly 24" to the ground.

CHeck out this thread: http://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f19/how-tall-you-i-mean-really-13239/

Or I always sight along the top of the spring tops and measure to the top of the axle tube.
_24026.jpg

I am sure glad they don't have to salt the roads where I live.:chug:
My 1980 had some rust, but dang Gina!:eek:

Well, I finally had time to do some measuring like the diagram , and its roughly 4", so I guess at some point the PO installed a lift kit , just didnt mention it . Now I know what I'm working with. Thanks guys appreciate the info. Ohio salts their roads to no end. It doesn't help that we have an underground salt mine under Lake Erie, lots of salt.

With that much lift I would get fid of the shakles.. no need for them with 32's. probably wouldnt hurt to throw in a new set of bushing all around. spring and body. the ones i nthe pics look all smoothed and rotted.

The whole thing is rotten LOL , except for the frame, someone had it undercoated at one point, it has some rust on it but solid. I think its a good starting point for me. As I go along on this I just keep adding things to the looonngg list of things that need attention. thanks Jimbo.

Pa. does also. Your in a really bad spot for salt. Glad to here the frame is solid. Atleast you have something to build off of. The tub looks rough :D
Well, I finally had time to do some measuring like the diagram , and its roughly 4", so I guess at some point the PO installed a lift kit , just didnt mention it . Now I know what I'm working with. Thanks guys appreciate the info. Ohio salts their roads to no end. It doesn't help that we have an underground salt mine under Lake Erie, lots of salt.

Yep rough she is, it can be saved with a little time and $$$, but I think I'll look around for another one.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks