CJ7 Storage Solutions

CJ7 Storage Solutions

aglinks

Active Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
‘83 CJ7, 4.8L Vortec, TF999, D300, AMC20, D30
Does anyone have any storage ideas for camping gear in a CJ7? I have the toolbox that fits behind the seat which is nice and a rack for the hitch but I dont think I can get everything I need to take my wife and dogs camping for a few days. How hard is it to mount a roofrack? I have a Thule basket for my wife's new Renegade so if I could come up with a good way to throw that up top I think I would be good to go.

I dont have any pictures, but one of my wheeling buddies fab'd a custom roof mounted aluminum "box" that houses all the light but bulky stuff. It does help that he's a custom fabricator by trade though ;)

Have you Googled roof rack for a CJ7? I did and came up with some.

Have you Googled roof rack for a CJ7? I did and came up with some.

The only one I can find that is still in production is the Garvin Industries rack and its $1200. Plus it appears that the basket it attached to the support bars and cannot be removed separately. I wouldnt be able to pull into my garage with a permanent basket on top.

Check with Garvin Industries.

I called Garvin Industries and got measurements and sadly it will not fit in my garage since the basket cannot be removed. What I really want is something like the Kargo Master Congo Cage (See link) so I can put my Thule basket on top when I plan to go hunting/camping. Sadly that isnt in production anymore. Does anyone know of something similar being made by a different manufacturer?

Link: https://www.quadratec.com/products/12138_001_07.htm

I found someone that had a Congo Cage in stock so I immediately ordered it! I should be able to put my Thule basket up top when I am going hunting no problem.

Apparently the company I bought the rack from didnt actually have it. Back to searching!

Home built. Folded sheet metal, "C" channel frame, and Subaru wheels. Added the paint a couple years ago. Perfect fit at 4' x 6' . Going to get some different wheels though to raise the height. Currently 13", going to 15".

I found a rack that is exactly what I am looking for but it fits YJ’s. How much difference is there between the CJ and YJ tub and windshield? Would I be in for a ton of modification?

I found a rack that is exactly what I am looking for but it fits YJ’s. How much difference is there between the CJ and YJ tub and windshield? Would I be in for a ton of modification?

No a YJ and CJ are pretty much the same. People are using YJ tubs on there CJ's all the time

That’s what I thought but when I emailed the company they said it wouldn’t fit.

Is it the style that mounts to your windshield frame on the front? Have a buddy that was looking at one like that for his yj there's no reason why it wouldn't fit your cj if it's that style.

Revisiting an old thread here on storage ideas. Anyone ever look at mounting recessed storage boxes in the rear fender wells? I don't mean a box that mounts on top of the fender well. Lots of those available, but that takes up more internal room and eliminates that space from being an armrest for rear passengers. So I have been considering buying/making some boxes (say 16" long x 8" wide by 4" deep with a lip around the top) with hinged lids and then cutting openings in the rear fender wells to recess these boxes into the space. So they would be flush with the top of the fender well and stick 4" down into the wheel well opening. I have 35" tires and a 4" lift. My tires will never go up into the wheel wells far enough to risk hitting the bottom of such boxes. And in fact, at only 4" deep, you would never really see them hanging down into the wheel well opening unless you were crouched down looking up in there. Painted black like the rest of the wheel well interior and probably wouldn't be noticeable hardly at all. These would be used to hold gloves, small hand tools, first aid kit, etc. My center console and glovebox are stuffed and I would love some additional storage space inside. I have other items in the back behind the rear seat (winch accessory bag, etc) and really don't want one of the storage boxes that sits back there in that space.

I have also looked into the Tuffy 130-01 storage drawer that mounts under the rear seat. This is pricey ($600 or so) and raises the rear seat higher, but also looks like a good option (except it's pricey). And you have to buy the mounting kit specific to your Jeep model for even more money.

Sounds like a pretty good idea, except i really don’t want to start cutting into my body.

Sounds like a pretty good idea, except i really don’t want to start cutting into my body.
I also have that thought. Not keen on butchering my original all steel body. A fiberglass aftermarket job? Probably no issue. Was just curious if any others had considered or done this as I make a decision. Right now leaning toward the Tuffy drawer under the rear seat, even with the high cost. I took some measurements and am starting to cozy up to the idea of the rear seat being about 4" higher up anyway.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom