cj7 exterior door handle

cj7 exterior door handle

nitto

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1983 jeep cj7
i am currently restoring a 1983 CJ7. when i got the truck most of the parts were in boxes, and i dont have too much experience with jeeps. but anyways my question is about installing the exterior door handles. i understand they use shims and pins to be held in place, but i cant get them to stay in place. how are the shims and pins suppose to line up? i know itd be hard to explain with words, but if anyone could just post a picture of the innards id really appericiate it.

The paddle style of handles are held in place by two tapered, serrated wedges that go in between the handle and door skin if I recall. They can be hard to remove/install because of the small area you're working in.
I believe they install or drive up from the bottom.

I'm trying to install a replacement handle on my drivers side door and having difficulties. The factory handle had the shims driven in from the top. There is NO way I can find on an assembled door to do this with the replacement, but when I drive it in from the bottom up, the latch seems to catch on the shim.

Any advice?

You are right they do come down from the top. I have replaced both of mine and it is a major pain in the :censored: but it is possable. It took me some time but I got mine in you just have to work at it and try not to get pissed off. Good luck :chug:

I just beat the clip down with a hammer til the latch mechanism didn't catch anymore and put them in from the bottom. Seems to work ok.

The ol' "get mad and beat with a hammer" trick wins again.

A couple things you can do to make things easier.

Take the door off and lay it on a table or work bench.

You need to remove the locking mechanism. That will give you a clear path to the paddle.

I also would suggest you pull the window as well. It's not that hard to do and will make it easier to drive the wedge with a long flat head screw driver and a hammer from the top of the door down.

It's still a pain in the *** but take your time and work through it.

2628d1269632666-cj7-restoration-progress-advice-please-img_0953.jpg

2638d1269632941-cj7-restoration-progress-advice-please-img_2016.jpg

A couple things you can do to make things easier.

Take the door off and lay it on a table or work bench.

You need to remove the locking mechanism. That will give you a clear path to the paddle.

I also would suggest you pull the window as well. It's not that hard to do and will make it easier to drive the wedge with a long flat head screw driver and a hammer from the top of the door down.

It's still a pain in the *** but take your time and work through it.

2628d1269632666-cj7-restoration-progress-advice-please-img_0953.jpg

2638d1269632941-cj7-restoration-progress-advice-please-img_2016.jpg
Yea you need to pull the glass

I have the exact same problem with drivers door handle replacement.

The two wedges with clips have to go in from the top? I got them in from the bottom up but things just do not seem right.

Once in place the door still hangs up when trying to open from outside. Is there any way to adjust the linkage?

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

"tired of reaching in through vent window"

I have the exact same problem with drivers door handle replacement.

The two wedges with clips have to go in from the top? I got them in from the bottom up but things just do not seem right.

Once in place the door still hangs up when trying to open from outside. Is there any way to adjust the linkage?

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

"tired of reaching in through vent window"

From what I recall the wedges go in opposite from one another. That is one from the top and the other from the bottom.

My door did not open very smoothly so I pulled the whole latching mechanism and cleaned it thoroughly with WD40 and a wire brush then greased it.

It is a brand new handle so I will try cleaning all the latching mechanism and see if that may help. Will try one from top down nearest back of door of one from bottom towards front of door for the wedges.

From what I recall the wedges go in opposite from one another. That is one from the top and the other from the bottom.
The ones on my '84 both come down from the top they are a major PIA to install but with a lot of cussing I got them in. You have to have the glass out.

It is a brand new handle so I will try cleaning all the latching mechanism and see if that may help. Will try one from top down nearest back of door of one from bottom towards front of door for the wedges.

To clarify, by latching mechanism I mean this:

2180d1264373826-cj7-restoration-progress-advice-please-img_0953.jpg

You can also just barely see 1 of the wedges pointing down in that picture. I am almost 100% sure the other points up and 100% sure it was a GIANT pain in the *** to get them both back in place.

It sounds like you guys are having a lot of *** pain. You may want to see a dr, with everyone getting it around here it may be contagious. :grin: :) :laugh:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks