CJ5 parts vechicle

2lostspace

Jeep-CJ.com Moderator
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
82 CJ-7
Engine 258
Transfer case dana 300
OK I have a line on a CJ5 that is in pieces. The inner part of the frame is shot tub is gone but it has all the drive train components and brand new 31inc tires. The tub is toast but the fenders, hood and window frame are good. It also has a hard top with doors and a soft top all in very good shape.
The asking price is 500 dollars. So the question should I get it and get all good parts off and scrap the rest. If that's the case what parts will interchange with the CJ7? Or would it be better to fix the frame and get a tub and turn it into a project for izzakd12 to work on?

man I wish I could find something like that for 5 bills! THe closest I've seen here was a tub and frame on blazer 1/2 ton axles for $1200. I'd say go for it, part out what you can and use the rest for a new project!

The parts you mentioned (the frame and tub ) are about the only parts that arent compatible with a CJ7 depending on the year of the CJ5. What year is it?

Not sure what year it is I think it is a 77:confused:. It has the in-line six and a 4sp.

If its older and has a 4spd. Grab it. The 4 spd would be a t-18 and would pay for the cost of the jeep itself if you wanted to sell it.

I will get the year tomorrow and post. Don't know much about these thing and what they have in them.

If your wheeling your jeep and would like to rockcrawl that trans is awesome. Its first gear has a granny low in it. Makes a great crawling trans. It was mated to a dan 20 t-case. Since its in a CJ5 you would need to get custom driveshafts , you cant use the stock ones from either Jeep. The granny gear is like 6:32 but some were in the 4 range. Just about all the drive line , front clip , and windshield frame can be used on your seven. The top and doors are obviously different. For that price grab it up and use what you need. Part out what you can and junk whats left. You'll have parts you can use and probably make money too boot.

By older I meant in the 70s. Older than yours. If its a 4 spd and stock thats what it'll have. If you can drive it pop it in 1st and youll see what I mean.

For $500 I would definitely buy it. Just for the running gear alone - especially if it's a 77. 76 and up are the years you want for complete interchangeability with your CJ.

I'd be on that like stink on a monkey. Everything is interchangable, but the body, frame, and rear driveshaft. The trans may also be a T170 series (176-177) A very good trans.

If the trans is a t-176/77 from a later Cj that was swapped in its still a good trans. I have a t-176 in my 85

The thing does not run the tub has been removed. The drive train is still in the frame, It did run he drove it to his place and started to tear it down and found all the rust. I will try to get pictures of it tonight after work. Will the axles work on a wide track CJ7 or will there need to be modifications done? What does the T18 look like?
Thanks for the input at point I think that it is going to be in my garage very soon.:):)

I have a t-18 in my shed. When I get home from work I'll take some pics at different angles for you.

I was just gonna say there were pics in the t-18 T-15 swap thread but never mind. :D If you need any angles you dont see let me know and I'll post.

Thanks CJ I believe that I have that trans in my 7. It looks very close and It has a very low first gear. I only have to use 2nd through 4th for getting around town.

The thing does not run the tub has been removed. The drive train is still in the frame, It did run he drove it to his place and started to tear it down and found all the rust. I will try to get pictures of it tonight after work. Will the axles work on a wide track CJ7 or will there need to be modifications done? What does the T18 look like?
Thanks for the input at point I think that it is going to be in my garage very soon.:):)

The narrow axles are easy to fit into a wide frame. the front is a direct bolt in, no problems swap, and the rear just needs to have the spring perches cut off and moved outward a little. I did it to my 78, which also gave me the opertunity to rotate the axle slightly up to negate the lift I installed. CJ's thread on his T18 should take care of the piks you need. There is a TON of little bits and pieces on that wreck that will serve you well. I even kept every single bolt and nut (except those friggin torx bolts:mad:) And the old harness, just for the connections.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks