CJ-7 with Chevy 350

CJ-7 with Chevy 350

Scrambler GR3

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'85 Scrambler 4.2, T-176, D-300, Custom Dana 489 (rear) w/ elocker, 4.10 gears, Dana 30 (front) w/ elocker and 4.10 gears, 4-5" lift, Toyo Open Country 35x13.5x15 tires

'84 CJ-7 Chevy 350, TH350, D300, stock 3.54 gears, 33x12.5x15 BF Goodrich KM2
I am currently doing a frame-off of a 1984 CJ7. I have the body off the frame and I have removed the engine. I had planned on rebuilding the engine; however, the engine had a leak in the head gasket and water in the cylinder rusted the block and, according to the machine shop, it is no longer any good. Yes, I learned a lesson. The engine set for about three or four years without running and I was pretty sure it had a bad head gasket. I guess I learned what "ran when parked" can mean. Anyway, I am now weighing different options. I could get another carbureted engine (mid 70's to 1987) because I already have a Holley Throttle Body set up for it along with an intake manifold and rebuild it, or I am considering installing a LS engine.

If anyone has done an LS engine swap into a CJ7, or if anyone knows of any posts where someone has detailed the process, I would appreciate any assistance or guidance. I understand I should be able to use the engine mounts that were used for the 350.

I have attached a picture of the frame with the original 350 engine in it.

Thanks.

Attachments

• Original Drive Train 1.jpg
    Original Drive Train 1.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 10
I jerked the I6 engine in my CJ7 and installed a SBC 350 and love it. Parts everywhere, endless customization options, easy and plentiful adaptors where needed, etc. I'm sure the LS swap is just as easy. I bought a Crate engine that has multi-port EFI and also installed a Chevy trans to bolt right up. Just a set of headers, an adaptor for the Dana 300, and different length drive shafts. Easy-peasy. Even made my own motor mount adaptors for it.

I don't believe you can use the SBC engine mounts with an LS. Others chime in here, but my son and I did an LS swap in an old Chevy Apache P/U that had a SBC 350 and the 350 mounts wouldn't work.

I jerked the I6 engine in my CJ7 and installed a SBC 350 and love it. Parts everywhere, endless customization options, easy and plentiful adaptors where needed, etc. I'm sure the LS swap is just as easy. I bought a Crate engine that has multi-port EFI and also installed a Chevy trans to bolt right up. Just a set of headers, an adaptor for the Dana 300, and different length drive shafts. Easy-peasy. Even made my own motor mount adaptors for it.

I don't believe you can use the SBC engine mounts with an LS. Others chime in here, but my son and I did an LS swap in an old Chevy Apache P/U that had a SBC 350 and the 350 mounts wouldn't work.
I believe NOVAK has adapters so I can use the original engine mount. The Jeep was already set up for a 350, so I should be able to use those mounts with the NOVAK adapters. Although I don't know. That's why I'm looking for assistance.

I used these from speed engineering.

https://speed-engineering.com/colle...motor-mounts-ls-conversion-swaps-universal-m2

All in all, I think the LS conversation is easy. Don't get me wrong I had to overcome plenty of issues to get mine right. However, it was well worth it. Problem is that you'll need to decide on a course of action and stick to it. It is very easy to get sidetracked or confused because of all the different configurations that can be done. I went with the 5.3, drive by cable, TH350. Kept it 4WD; this created clearance issues with the front drive shaft. Pro Tip: if you get more "go" you'll need more "whoa". I also did the TSM read disc upgrade. If you are bored start here on page 7.

https://jeep-cj.com/community/threads/3rd-time-down-the-rabbit-hole.61116/page-7

If you are really bored read the whole thing.

Love this line: if you get more "go" you'll need more "whoa"

Love this line: if you get more "go" you'll need more "whoa"
Kinda why I just went from 4cylinder AMC 150 to AMC 6cylinder 258 with Sniper EFI. Didn’t have to change out everything. Even my drive shafts were reused. Brakes still stop me.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom