Chili

Chili

Manic Mechanic

Full Time Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
85 CJ7 4.2L 258 .040 over, T-5 trans, dana 300, dana 30 front 3.23 and lock right locker, rear amc 20 3.23 one piece axle shafts traclock

79 CJ7 304, th400 auto borgwarner 1389?? qudratrac stock rest unknown.

89 YJ 4.2L 258, AX-15 5spd, NP231, dana 30 front, dana 35 rear with posi, gears unknown

92 YJ 4.0, AX-15 5spd, np231, dana 30 front, dana 35 rear.
Mods I apologize in advance for the firestorm I'm about to create.

As the weather here in the mid Atlantic turns chilly (I know you all up north laugh at us as our chilly weather is ur t-shirt weather. And yall down south get what the rest of us consider spring weather) with that being said as I mentioned above that means it's chili weather by chilly I mean chili that you eat not the temps outside.

So now for the firestorm of debate. Do you put beans in your chilli or not. I know lots of people that say no beans as that is not chili but bean soup instead. Me I put beans in mine and I prefer mine spicy.

So let's keep it civil and friendly debate let's hear your ideas recipes and process. I tend to use 3 kinds of meat ground beef a nice cut of beef for chunks of meat and some spicy sausage for good measure. I typically add 3 kinds of beans black chili and kidney. As well as fire roasted tomatoes large cut peppers and onions plus all the seasoning. Here's some pictures of the beginning process. I also cook it slow over a long day so all the flavors blend.

As far as I'm concerned there's no wrong way to make chili except to not make it at all.
0702db39488baaf4169a79f00400f07b.jpg
946101d1ce80bee66013e8dca1986214.jpg

Sent from my E7110 using Tapatalk

Your recipe sounds great. For many chili is a passion. I really have no preference about beans, all I care about is that is spicy and hearty.
About the only thing I ever kept consistent is my protein, about three quarters of 90/10 and one quarter ground pork. I use 90/10 because the ground pork has enough fat.
Other than that I always just wing it.

Here's my IPA, double shot of Patron and cup of chili (they only serve sans beans) with cheese and extra onions waiting for the band to start last Friday. A great blues night for all...

20231027_190059.jpg

20231027_185745.jpg

I was going to wait for a few replies before I got into the discussion about how to serve it. But why not. I'm lazy so instead of corn bread I tend to serve it over tater tots (plus I know the kids eat them) leftovers (yes there's always leftovers) gets turned into chili cheese fries chili dogs and over nacho chips (darndest thing chili always gets made late week and leftovers always seems to fall on a Sunday)

I do quite a lot of cooking, but can’t say I ever made chili. I like it with the beans. Just don’t really think about it that much around here. When it’s cold around here I think about Taco Soup, 10 bean soup, vegetable beef soup or my favorite, chicken and sausage gumbo. Toss out a good recipe for chili and I will give it a try. Maybe I just never had great chili.

I too like it hot, I use Jalapeno's sometimes Habanero's, I also make it with Venison a great bit, beans...I prefer with and sometimes use 3 different types, pinto, black, and light kidney.
tend not to use sauces to add heat, takes away from the flavor profile.
And cornbread is almost a must! I make an awesome(in my humble opinion) Venison Mango Habanero chili!, lights you up with it's sweet and heat!

It's got some heat. Nothing over powering but you can taste it. Like others have said I get the heat from spices not sauces.
533aa8f77d31f2bd93868fe82716e480.jpg

I don't mind beans, chili or red kidney, in my chili. But we all know real chili doesn't have beans. As CJ stated, chili is a passion and I made quite a bit here in TX. Here's my recipe:

1. Large cast iron dutch oven to cook it in.
2. Two Tbl olive oil.
3. 3 lbs lean chuck roast cut into 1/2" cubes. No ground meat!
4. Four chili peppers dices quite small (select peppers based on how much heat you want).
5. One large white or yellow onion diced quite small.
6. Two 16oz cans of tomatoes from your summer garden.
7. Two tsp ground cumin.
8. One Tbl dried oregano.
9. About 16oz of beef broth.
10. Two garlic cloves mined up real good.
11. Salt and pepper to taste.

Get the dutch oven good and hot, preferably over your firepit with some good oak wood. Throw some pecan shells in the fire also if you have them. Heat the oil, then brown the cubed meat. Add in the onion, garlic cloves, cumin and oregano. After mixing thoroughly, add the beef broth and the peppers. Let that simmer a while to get the flavors into the meat real well. Next add the tomatoes, salt and pepper. Let that simmer more, stirring occasionally. When the meat cubes can fall apart easily, it's done. Real Texas based chili has no beans and is thick, almost like a stew. Optionally add some grated cheese and/or a spoon of sour cream. Serve with some warm cornbread and sit around the firepit while eating. Then smores when you're done.

I never thought about oregano I will have to try it. And I agree chili should always be thick

If it ain't thick, it's just vegetable soup. And with ground meat it's just spicy spaghetti sauce. All this chili talk is getting me anxious for my next deer hunt and batch of camp chili. Hittin' the woods in two weekends.

I made chili dogs tonight nothing like homemade chili and grilled hotdogs with cheddar cheese and onions and a bottle of coke in the glass bottle. Sorry ate the dog before thinking about a picture
5ebd478b86dda9eb383dadae00ad933e.jpg

Looks like a good recipe. Wish I had those fresh tomatoes you are talking about. I did pick these a couple days ago. Pretty much for the salad 04550351-28AD-4F31-B1FA-E318040EBBC1.jpeg

First pot of chili is gone (finished it for dinner last night by making chili cheese fries) only thing left is the gas and that to shall pass....

With this global warming situation going on, consider doing something useful with all that methane. :poke:

• Wow
Reactions: CJ
With this global warming situation going on, consider doing something useful with all that methane. :poke:
If it could power my Jeep I would

• Wow
Global warming my backside... World temperatures have only been tracked from around 1880. The earth takes care of itself.
Heck, we don't have a lot of time before the Yellowstone super volcano erupts again and starts another climate freeze.
I think I'll have a Duff beer :beer: and drive my carbon producing vehicle. The earth takes care of itself and were doomed I tell ya!!! Doomed!!!
doomed.gif

How often do volcanic eruptions occur at Yellowstone?
Three extremely large explosive eruptions have occurred at Yellowstone in the past 2.1 million years with a recurrence interval of about 600,000 to 800,000 years.

Yeah I think we are already over due by like 40k years. Just another reason why I’m retiring next week. Got to get ahead of the lava wave coming. If i am out in Moab or Colorado I should be upwind of the sulfur cloud correct ?

• Thanks for the Post!
Yeah I think we are already over due by like 40k years. Just another reason why I’m retiring next week. Got to get ahead of the lava wave coming. If i am out in Moab or Colorado I should be upwind of the sulfur cloud correct ?
Yes believe so but down wind of the smug clouds coming out of California from all the green Tesla drivers

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks