Engine Chevy V8 CJ7, stubby hugger headers or outside frame?

Engine Chevy V8 CJ7, stubby hugger headers or outside frame?

Armyvet25

Beach Runner
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
06 TJ, 83 CJ7, 2012 JKU, 1995 YJ
Which has worked better from those whom have done it, get the larger outside frame rail headers or custom the exhaust with stubby block huggers, the later expecting some custom motor mounting for sure, along with room for the front drive shaft. I will probably have the engine offset if needed 1-1-1/2 towards passenger side, no mechanical fan so I'll squeeze it as forward as possible and finally it will have a slight body lift 1-2" and suspension lift of approx 2". True Dual exhaust not necessary.
Thanks
p.s. pics greatly appreciated.

The block hugger headers is the better option if you don’t want dual exhaust, but long tube headers perform better. You want to locate your V8 as far back as possible, ideally.

I have a SBC engine with dual exhaust. Block huggers and a slight offset (1.5") to passenger side. Works great. No issues with space for front drive shaft and plenty of clearing for steering shaft. My exhaust is inside the frame rails, up and over the rear axle, and out the back corners with a slight angle. No issues with exhaust coming in while sitting stopped or driving either one.

exhaust1.jpg exhaust2.jpg exhaust3.jpg exhaust4.jpg exhaust5.jpg

I had a prior CJ5 with a SBC and fender exit exhaust headers with "side pipes" outside the frame rails. Hated it. Looked bad, hot pipes where people would step onto rock slider rails to get in/out, etc. And the exhaust exited right behind the door openings, which would come inside when stopped.

After_Left_Side_Small.jpg

Block huggers are a good choice, keeps the pipes tucked into the frame. Most are center dump which give a good area for routing.
Mine are currently BHs with 2.5" duels and dump in front of the rear axle (not ideal). Got the pipes from a friend afew years ago when I was doing the SBC install, and haven't got around to extending them all the way.
Not a big fan of fender well headers unless your building a gasser.

Block huggers are a good choice, keeps the pipes tucked into the frame. Most are center dump which give a good area for routing.
Mine are currently BHs with 2.5" duels and dump in front of the rear axle (not ideal). Got the pipes from a friend afew years ago when I was doing the SBC install, and haven't got around to extending them all the way.
Not a big fan of fender well headers unless your building a gasser.

Wanted to add pic and fix spelling this morning but couldn't edit my post.

Attachments

• 16609192768669035386159920759154.jpg
    16609192768669035386159920759154.jpg
    238.5 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Are you ok with that ugly and obtrusive crossover pipe under your transmission…

Other than the second muffler, not much cost difference with dual out the back vs a cross-over under the tranny a single pipe out the back. I would hate to have to pull my exhaust whenever the tranny needed work.

Are you ok with that ugly and obtrusive crossover pipe under your transmission…
might not have to, looking at previous post, lift might alleviate that(duels), or I've seen a forward running u turn pipe under the oil pan narrow section on some.
single/duels will decide I guess as build dictates when I get to that point

No way to get around that. Good luck.

…to cook oil.

Looks like something to bend up and scrape on any real rocky types of trails. Just stay on the porch hound dog. :)

I have a SBC engine with dual exhaust. Block huggers and a slight offset (1.5") to passenger side. Works great. No issues with space for front drive shaft and plenty of clearing for steering shaft. My exhaust is inside the frame rails, up and over the rear axle, and out the back corners with a slight angle. No issues with exhaust coming in while sitting stopped or driving either one.

View attachment 76195 View attachment 76196 View attachment 76197 View attachment 76198 View attachment 76199

I had a prior CJ5 with a SBC and fender exit exhaust headers with "side pipes" outside the frame rails. Hated it. Looked bad, hot pipes where people would step onto rock slider rails to get in/out, etc. And the exhaust exited right behind the door openings, which would come inside when stopped.

View attachment 76200

View attachment 76195 View attachment 76196 View attachment 76197 View attachment 76198 View attachment 76199

View attachment 76200
Thanks i found this post earlier. Thinking about doing the same out behind rear tires. Dont need to smell the exhaust lol. Think I will fix my yj as well

I always thought the outside frame headers and glass paks looked cool, but I can imagine loud. Since I'm doing a frame off, should be able to run mine front to back duels without too much trouble

View attachment 76200
Any info on pipe names or part # on the over axel and ones off headers would be appreciated Thanks for the help

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom