Checking Tie rods and Drag links

Checking Tie rods and Drag links

Tidife

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1971 CJ-5
"Dauntless" Buick V6 Engine, SM420 Transmission, Dana 18 Transfer Case, 31" Super Swampers. Dana 27 Front, Dana44 rear(two peice),no clue on Lift yet(2-6 inches maybe?)
So after checking my Steering components, I'm starting to get a bit confused.

I have a 1971 CJ5 and my tie rod/drag links look like its from a late model CJ5 instead. It looks identical to the setup in the Troubleshooting & Correcting Steering technical thread, with the exception of a drop pitman arm instead of a regular pitman arm and what i will explain below.

I have a tube that is 35.2" long. It connects from a tie rod end on the driverside wheel to a tie rod end with a hole on the passenger wheel. A tie rod end is connected to the passenger tie rod end with a hole and leads to the drop pitman arm. That tube is 22.5" long and 27" from the tie rod end(connected to the hole in the tie rod end with a hole on the passenger wheel) to the tie rod end connected to the drop pitman arm.

It sounds confusing to me so let me know if it is for you as well.
(Simplified version- Exactly the same as the tech writeup except i have a drop pitman arm and the tie rod ends connect at the passenger wheel as pictured in the attached thumbnail)

I've been checking the lengths of tubes and my Service manual( Universal SM for 53-71 Jeep CJ and DJ) and it doesnt show any of these parts except the tie rod with a hole. I check the 72+ parts list and none of the tubes match these lengths. I was informed by another member that i have a "Saginaw power steering gear box" and thats what connects to the pitman arm.

My assumption is that the change in the steering components were to allow the steering gear box, but that's about it. The tubes look okay, a little rusted but not bent or anything.

The question I have is how i would go about finding out what tie rod ends i need to replace them all? Just dismantle them and check? and as far as removal, i understand that i can just undo the cotter pin, take the castle nut off knock the tie rod end out of the hole(whatever its connected to) and then unscrew it?

If anyone has any advice on this, I'd greatly appreciate it. I've never messed with steering components before and I'd like to start doing it myself, but I'm unsure as to how to go about it as its different than my FSM. Also if anyone can think of other things i can do to improve my steering besides just these tie rod ends I would be thrilled to listen to their advice. :notworthy:

Thanks,
Tidife

Attachments

• hole.jpg
    hole.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 211
So after checking my Steering components, I'm starting to get a bit confused.

I have a 1971 CJ5 and my tie rod/drag links look like its from a late model CJ5 instead. It looks identical to the setup in the Troubleshooting & Correcting Steering technical thread, with the exception of a drop pitman arm instead of a regular pitman arm and what i will explain below.

I have a tube that is 35.2" long. It connects from a tie rod end on the driverside wheel to a tie rod end with a hole on the passenger wheel. A tie rod end is connected to the passenger tie rod end with a hole and leads to the drop pitman arm. That tube is 22.5" long and 27" from the tie rod end(connected to the hole in the tie rod end with a hole on the passenger wheel) to the tie rod end connected to the drop pitman arm.

It sounds confusing to me so let me know if it is for you as well.
(Simplified version- Exactly the same as the tech writeup except i have a drop pitman arm and the tie rod ends connect at the passenger wheel as pictured in the attached thumbnail)

I've been checking the lengths of tubes and my Service manual( Universal SM for 53-71 Jeep CJ and DJ) and it doesnt show any of these parts except the tie rod with a hole. I check the 72+ parts list and none of the tubes match these lengths. I was informed by another member that i have a "Saginaw power steering gear box" and thats what connects to the pitman arm.

My assumption is that the change in the steering components were to allow the steering gear box, but that's about it. The tubes look okay, a little rusted but not bent or anything.

The question I have is how i would go about finding out what tie rod ends i need to replace them all? Just dismantle them and check? and as far as removal, i understand that i can just undo the cotter pin, take the castle nut off knock the tie rod end out of the hole(whatever its connected to) and then unscrew it?

If anyone has any advice on this, I'd greatly appreciate it. I've never messed with steering components before and I'd like to start doing it myself, but I'm unsure as to how to go about it as its different than my FSM. Also if anyone can think of other things i can do to improve my steering besides just these tie rod ends I would be thrilled to listen to their advice. :notworthy:

Thanks,
Tidife

:)
First off you still have a Dana 27 closed knuckle front axle.........and when they changed the steering over they used Jeep parts from about 1972+ that would normally be found on a Dana 30......all the early Jeeps up to about 1990 + used the same taper for the tie rod ends although shaft size may differ.........I would pull off whatever your going to change and take it with you but just looking at what ya got it's 72 and later CJ5 steering parts. Now of course the Tie Rod and the drag link will be a shorter length cause the Dana 30 axle is 3 inches wider than the D-27 axle and depending on where they mounted the Saginaw gear box will determine how long the Drag link needs to be............all common stuff not a big deal most of that stuff started longer and was shortened.

As I mentioned in another post on your Jeep a Dana 30 front end and brakes is a worthwhile improvement as things your seeing on your 71 are things that the later CJ5 started to use.........One other thing I noticed is that the tie rod is close to hitting the spring.........there is a common fix for that called a "tie rod flip" which you can investigate on line at a later date.

As far a removal of those ends, Yes on cotter pin and nut but you will probably need a pickle fork or puller to remove, although a hammer can work but may destroy the part.....As far as improvement ...........

The first thing I would do is get a friend over and behind the steering wheel........motor off and just have them start by moving the wheel left / right slowly a 1/2" at a time.......... follow that motion from the steering wheel through the dash and down the steering shaft on its way to the steering gear and beyond and you should be able to find where the play is in your steering system. It's all a 1:1 ratio through all of the steering components all the way to the axle bearings and wheels & tires............Don't start replacing things until you see what's loose or flexing.........Your steering problem could be loose springs worn bushings, a cracked frame , loose steering gear or several other things.........just have to check!

:D:D:D:D

Here is a Moog chart that might help you find the right tie rod ends:Moog Suspension Parts - Universal Outer Tie Rod Ends
Since you already seem to have the right rod ends already, you might be able to find some that match by measuring them. As far as removing them, I whack one on each side with two hammers at the same time and that seems to work. Although by checking the various CJ type setups you might find the correct one that you have. I got my setup at the junk yard and am currently working on finding the right size tres that will work, so good luck with that.

Thanks for the response guys! I had a busy weekend. Was the wifes birthday so i wasn't allowed to touch the jeep or I'd incur her wrath! Planning on checking the steering components tonight. I'll post on how it goes.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks