Help Changing body mounts on 85CJ7

Help Changing body mounts on 85CJ7

CCKCJ785

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1985 CJ7, 4.2L 258
I am changing out my body mounts on 85CJ7. Have not attacked it yet. Can anyone give me a list of the bolt hardware I will need. Want to get it on the front side of the project. Also is it worth the cost of the conical SS washers in this upgrade? Bolts and specs, qty are my critical ask. Thanks

Seams like there is a sticky ( list ) somewhere on here with the complete list of the bolt hardware that is needed. @CJ should know.

I used this kit from Omix-ada for the bushings and sleeves on my '84 CJ7: Body Mount Kit
I find a lot of folks buy new bushings and forget the sleeves, which are usually in very rusty and unusable condition once removed.
I also used this stainless bolt set (like the stainless better than plain): Bolt Set
consisting of:
8 of 3/8"x16 by 2-1/2" long : Hex Head
1 of 7/16"x14 by 2" long : Hex Head
2 of 7/16"x14 by 2-1/2" long : Hex Head
11 Washers

Probably the most difficult part of my build was replacing the body mount bushings. All but two had to be cut out because of either rust or the captive nuts in the body were no longer captive and just spun. Some of the bolts were so rusted through that they easily broke off rather than unscrew and come out. So be prepared for some possible body work to cut them out and then install new ones. Some people use a hole saw and cut through the floor from the top to access the nuts when required. Then you have to repair the hole you made. In my case, I was able to cut in from the sides underneath where the nuts are captured. So my repair work afterward was underneath rather than topside.

I used this kit from Omix-ada for the bushings and sleeves on my '84 CJ7: Body Mount Kit
I find a lot of folks buy new bushings and forget the sleeves, which are usually in very rusty and unusable condition once removed.
I also used this stainless bolt set (like the stainless better than plain): Bolt Set
consisting of:
8 of 3/8"x16 by 2-1/2" long : Hex Head
1 of 7/16"x14 by 2" long : Hex Head
2 of 7/16"x14 by 2-1/2" long : Hex Head
11 Washers

Probably the most difficult part of my build was replacing the body mount bushings. All but two had to be cut out because of either rust or the captive nuts in the body were no longer captive and just spun. Some of the bolts were so rusted through that they easily broke off rather than unscrew and come out. So be prepared for some possible body work to cut them out and then install new ones. Some people use a hole saw and cut through the floor from the top to access the nuts when required. Then you have to repair the hole you made. In my case, I was able to cut in from the sides underneath where the nuts are captured. So my repair work afterward was underneath rather than topside.
Could not have asked for more. Thanks you for following up. Bought Energy Poly awhile back in anticipation. Now realizing I put the cart before the horse. Great Reply

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks