Changed Fluids in Trans and now cant get into first gear?!?!?!?

Changed Fluids in Trans and now cant get into first gear?!?!?!?

Jcasey1966

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1965 CJ5, MarkIV, Tuxedo Park, F Head Four Cylinder, Column Shift, Model 18 Transfer Case, T90C Tranmission
I just changed my Manual T90C (three on the tree) Transmission and Model 18 Transfer case fluid that was BLACK and VERY THICK when draining out. I replaced with Valvoline SAE 80W-90 Gear Oil (Reccommended API service GL- 4, GL-5 non synch manual transmissions.

Prior to changing the fluid, I could shift into 1st gear with ease. Now, It seems the gears are moving when the clutch is fully depressed that I can't get it in first without severe grinding. I can put it into second no problem, then quickly shift into first without releasing the clutch to get it in first. Is this a simple clutch cable adjustment? the temp was cold at about 30 degrees today. But ran the jeep for 10 miles and still had the same problem when warm. Ideas? Best, Jeff

Did you fill to the top of fill plug.
3 on the tree is well known for linkage issues. Oil the linkage 'joints'.
How much free travel do you have in the clutch pedal? You want 1"-1 1/4".
How worn if the clutch linkage?
LG

I filled with rect'd fluid levels per manual. I think your suggesting to fill until leaks out of both fill plugs? I'll check linkages as well. I do have about 3"+ in play with the clutch until I feel tension engaging.

3" is too much. The clutch is not fully disengaging before your foot hits the floor. Do as Lumpy suggested and adjust the freeplay to 1" to 1 1/4" and you should be fine.

As suggested, adjust linkage and fill with gear oil until its starting to run out of fill hole and all should be well ;)

YES-Fill till oil runs out of fill plug. This is pretty much SOP.
YES-3" of clutch pedal travel is WAY to much.
LG

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks