Engine cant get a 304 so how about a 360

Engine cant get a 304 so how about a 360

Markcj79

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1979 , 304, T18 tranny
So apparently 304's are hard to come by and my block is trashed so no rebuild there. Can I drop an amc 360 in and bolt it directly to the T18 tranny I have or do I need an adapter. Do all the externals i.e. timing chain cover, bell housing, intake etc from my old 304 bolt on to the 360? I really don't want to spend the money for a LS swap.

If you are in the deciding stage, look at a GM v6. The newer the better, just as powerful as a classic v8 in a lightweight package and shorter block, and significantly more fuel efficient. Expensive to adapt, but will pay back in economy and overall satisfaction.

I can’t answe your question directly, I am sure others can.

So apparently 304's are hard to come by and my block is trashed so no rebuild there. Can I drop an amc 360 in and bolt it directly to the T18 tranny I have or do I need an adapter. Do all the externals i.e. timing chain cover, bell housing, intake etc from my old 304 bolt on to the 360? I really don't want to spend the money for a LS swap.
Putting in a 360 is almost a direct swap.

Almost everything from the 304 will work on the 360. It will use the same motor mounts and bolt right up to the trans. You will need the correct flywheel though as well as pressure plate and disc (10.5" vs 11"). You can use a 304 flywheel on a 360 but it requires machine work and balancing.
Also some accessory mounts may need some work which attach to the heads.
It's an easy swap.
What year 360?

Download our Master Parts Catalog and you can compare whats needed. -->> https://jeep-cj.com/community/downloads/1974-1980-jeep-dealer-master-parts-catalog-f-74080.96/

Example:
ex1.JPG

• Thanks for the Post!
Reactions: CJ
Just think, LS parts are everywhere and you'd be on the road. Finding parts for AMC stuff is getting tougher. I remember you starting a thread about this very thing.

According to oriellys no you do not need a new balancer, they list same part number for 304 and 360

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mark, not sure where you are located but I asked my machine shop and he has 3 - 304 blocks sitting on the back shelf. When I had my 304 rebuilt, I wish I would have thought a bunch more about it as I could have put a 360 in it for about another $600 for block/heads, as I spent on the 304 rebuild and would have had much better heads on the 360 vs 304

According to oriellys no you do not need a new balancer, they list same part number for 304 and 360

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So I got the new 360 installed runs great. Only issue I’m having is after driving for awhile and warms up it doesnt want to shift into 1st or reverse. Shifts fine when I first start driving. Anybody ever had this issue.

Putting in a 360 is almost a direct swap.

Almost everything from the 304 will work on the 360. It will use the same motor mounts and bolt right up to the trans. You will need the correct flywheel though as well as pressure plate and disc (10.5" vs 11"). You can use a 304 flywheel on a 360 but it requires machine work and balancing.
Also some accessory mounts may need some work which attach to the heads.
It's an easy swap.
What year 360?

Download our Master Parts Catalog and you can compare whats needed. -->> (Link)-> 1974 - 1980 Jeep Dealer Master Parts Catalog F-74080 -<

Example:
View attachment 78317
I am going 258 to 360. I have a stock 258 LUK clutch. My understanding is that the clutch I have should work with a 360 flywheel? Are you saying the flywheel for the 360 only takes an 11" clutch?

Stock clutch for a '78 360 is 11" / 1.125" (1 1/8") dia input shaft and '78 258 stock clutch (most common) is either 10.5" / 1.0625" (1 1/16") dia input shaft or 11" / 1.125" (1 1/8") dia input shaft depending on if it's heavy duty.

Stock clutch for a '78 360 is 11" / 1.125" (1 1/8") dia input shaft and '78 258 stock clutch (most common) is either 10.5" / 1.0625" (1 1/16") dia input shaft or 11" / 1.125" (1 1/8") dia input shaft depending on if it's heavy duty.
I need to check what my NP435 input is beforehand. Once the 360 is ready to swap in I would rather put a new clutch on it on the ground than find out under there that its the wrong one lol.

I need to check what my NP435 input is beforehand. Once the 360 is ready to swap in I would rather put a new clutch on it on the ground than find out under there that its the wrong one lol.
Don't forget to check the input shaft spline count also. 😉 Be sure and get a throw out bearing as well as a pilot bushing. Check the fit of the id of the bushing to the od of the small stepped down part of the input shaft.

Don't forget to check the input shaft spline count also. 😉 Be sure and get a throw out bearing as well as a pilot bushing. Check the fit of the id of the bushing to the od of the small stepped down part of the input shaft.
Bummer because I just did all that a few months ago THEN decided I wanted a 360. So theres all brand new parts under there and they may not be simpatico with the 360. The pilot will be a Novak part, the throw out should be the same nothing changing there, mainly just the diameter of the pressure plate and disc fitting the 360 flywheel (remember the transmission is staying NP435). In such a light vehicle I would definitely run the 10.5 clutch if it fits the 360 flywheel but that is to be determined! I have seen some flywheels drilled for 2 pressure plates but no idea if the new reproduction 360 flywheels have any of that.

If your fly wheel is not dual drilled any machine shop can put in some new dowls and bolt holes as needed for a 10.5" dia. for just a few bucks. Should take less than an hour labor.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom