Can't find reverse

Can't find reverse

marc59

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
79 CJ7
79 CJ7 t18 transmission all gear work but can't find reverse. Can't seem to push it far enough over to the right to move into reverse.

79 CJ7 t18 transmission all gear work but can't find reverse. Can't seem to push it far enough over to the right to move into reverse.

Something blocking it. You may have to take the cover off to find it. Are you positive that it's a T18? Try all the way to the left and towards the dash. If that's it you have an SR4.

Is the clutch adjusted correctly?
Gary

Thanks something is blocking it. Will have to take it back to shop.

Why don't you pull the tranny tunnel cover yourself, and see what is going on.
That's how you learn your Jeep....
Gary

Take the shift boot off and unscrew the shifter cane retainer. Make sure that the indexing pin is still there and engaged with the top of the transmission and the shifter cane. If the top cover housing has broken at the pin hole, the pin can drop out and cause shifting problems.
Take a look at this diagram, http://www.robroygregg.com/Number50/T18_Topplate.png the pin is part number 78125.
Make sure everything in the diagram is there, and in the right place without excessive wear.

If you have a 79 T18, reverse should be to the right and down. I have a T18 in my 79, but it is an early 79 and reverse is to the right and up. You could have either depending on when your Jeep was made assuming that you still have the original transmission.

Perhaps a bit of a divergence from the original thread but should the T-18 have a spring in the top housing that pushes the shifter back to the neutral position from the reverse position? I have a '76 CJ7 with a factory T-18 with the reverse up and to the right pattern. It has always been a pain to shift from 2nd to 3rd gear because it wants to slide all the way over into the reverse position. It doesn't seem to have any spring load to keep it from doing this. Thanks!

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks