Bump steer

Bump steer

Germy

Full Time Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1985 jeep cj7 360 20 rear and 30 front w/warn lockers 5 speed tranny,

1971 dodge dart built 318
Is bump steer when the jeep shoots to a side on a bump? While driving, my steering is feeling good, except for this. When I hit a bump or rougher road, it's a :dung: shoot if I can keep her in the lines.. I have a dropped pitman, 3.5 lift, 35's. Thanks all, I'm getting closer!!!!!

Yes sir it is. I am dealing with the same issue. Bumpsteer is an issue... also oversteer(loose) meaning the back end of the jeep wants to come around in a turn, then you have understeer which is its really tight or hard to turn. I have just had an SOA done and have 35X12.50X15s.... I can't stay in my lane above 45-50 mph and if I hit a bump I feel like i'm going to die ha..... good luck pal!

Any solutions? Smaller tires(33's)?

From searching posts, I see that I would need to reduce the angle of the drag link. I have a dropped pitman arm, the angle doesn't seem that bad. If I measure from top eye straight down to the level of the second eye, this will tell me if it is 3 inch etc? I am not for sure on the lift height, maybe I need a longer pitman?

get rid of the drop arm and do the flip you will have a better angle and gain back some of your steering radius.

pitman-knuckle-draglink.jpg

Bump steer happens when you have a lift. The drag link must be close to horizontal or you will have bump steer. If the drag link is angled too much imagine going over a bump and the suspension compresses. The axle (and right steering knuckle) are now closer to the steering gearbox. That forces the wheels to the right. Then when the suspension extends the wheels turn to the left.
The fix is to make sure the drag link is close to horizontal. Some do this with a dropped pitman arm but the best way to a tie rod flip. This puts the drag link on the top of the steering knuckle arm. Like this:
RK1613-5.jpg

Last edited:
Like dave said you want the drag link to be on the same plan as the tie rod to get rid of bump steer. It should look like this.

So I would need to flip the tie rod and the drag link at the knuckle. Is there a kit for this?

Old dog, you do know that you are helping with the install, right?!!!!!

Looks easy, read instructions. I am confused though. Even after the flip, the drag link will still be at an angle? Pardon if I am too slow to understand, I just don't see how the angle will be removed by flipping both pieces?

pitman-knuckle-draglink.jpg

The angle is improved when you move one end of the drag link at the steering knuckle. It's the drag link that becomes more horizontal. While your at it you should also raise both ends of the tie rod. That's just a clearance issue but you might as well.

Not confused any more! I had to go out to the garage and see! If I go to a standard pitman, wouldn't that put angle back into the drag link.? It seems as though the flip with my current pitman would yield parallel lines

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks