bump steer

bump steer

cjnewbie

Active Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
79 cj7 360 3 speed
i just bought a 76 CJ5 with a fiberglass body anyway it has had a spring over done on it and it seams to be pretty good my only complaint is it seams to pull left anytime the front suspension is under compresion like brakeing or even shifting or larg bumps any ideas how to fix this thanks guys sorry and gals

Some pic's of the set up would help us too.

To do away with bump steer, you have to get the tie-rod and draglink on the same plane. Anytime you have the draglink on an angle like that , you will get bump steer.
The only way to get rid of it is with a high steer, steering set up.

this is a ptc of the CJ7 and it was not bad at all thats why i dont understand why this one is so bad belive me i understand its an old jeep but it sucks as it is how do you do the high steer

is it possible to move the tie rod to the top of the steering arm just wondering becuse that would get them closer to the same plain

is it possible to move the tie rod to the top of the steering arm just wondering becuse that would get them closer to the same plain

I believe if you fliped the rod ends, the rod would hit the bottom of the spring.

I agree with the previous post about drag link angle being a big factor, but if it's worse than your old rig I would think there is more to it. Does it hunt for the groove? Maybe a little shimmy? I would suspect you have wear issues in your front suspension. I would check ball joints, tierod ends, draglink end, Spring & shackle bushings, even the rag joint in the steering column can cause steering problems.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks