Build a Welding Table

Build a Welding Table

BusaDave9

Always Off-Roading Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1979 Jeep CJ5 with 304 V8, T18 Transmission, Dana 20 Transfer case with TeraLow 3:1 gears, 4.88 axle gears, Detroit Locker up front and Ox Locker in back with 1 piece axle shafts, 36" SuperSwamper SX Tires, Shackle reversal, MileMarker Hydraulic winch, MSD 6A ignition.
Okay, okay building a welding table isn't rocket science but I'd thought I'd post it anyway. I'm excited about my new toy, a Millermatic 211 so built a welding table.
I wanted the table to be very strong and stable. I used 3x6 foot 1/4 inch steel for the top. But 1/4 inch steel can still flex under weight so I strengthened it with 2 inch straps (1/8" thick).
attachment.php

The There are five 3 foot long legs. Just right for standing next to it.
The legs are one inch square tubing (11 gauge). I welded nuts to the bottom of the legs so 3/4" bolts could adjust and level the table.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Welding Table done (Medium).JPG
    Welding Table done (Medium).JPG
    42.7 KB · Views: 56,016
  • Welding Table Foot (Medium).JPG
    Welding Table Foot (Medium).JPG
    31.9 KB · Views: 16,899
  • Welding Table (Medium).JPG
    Welding Table (Medium).JPG
    55.2 KB · Views: 4,593
Nice job. I really like the support you have given and kept the underside of the table open. :notworthy:

I would add to make it as heavy as practical for your shop. We used to make them out of a full 4'X8' piece of flat plate with 2" or 3" pipe for legs. 1"plate was preferred, but 3/4" would work just fine. Mind you, this was 12 years ago; and after buying some square tubing the other day for a bumper, not many folks can well afford a piece of 1" plate!:eek:

1/2" plate is heavy enough to mount a 6" vise to and give it some heavy leverage. (We also had big Milwaukee mag drills for drilling mounting holes. Very handy equipment for heavy work!)

Just some of my thoughts. Again, very nice job you did there and congrats on the welder. :chug:

I like that shop too!:drool: Nothing better than a good place to work!:chug:

NICE

look forward to seeing the upcoming projects

I went with 1/4 inch steel to make it relatively light. I braced it to make it strong.
1/4 inch steel is 10.2 lbs. per square foot so my tabletop is 184 lbs. My whole table is over 200 pounds. It's easily moved with 2 people. If I'm alone I can move one end at a time. Not that I will be moving it much. Some people make their welding tables with rollers on the legs.

One inch steel may be good for a big shop or factory. One inch steel weighs 40.8 pounds per square foot so a 4x8 foot sheet weighs 1305.6 pounds.

The table I mentioned was used for some pretty heavy duty stuff. Here is an example of a project we made in addition to oilfield service equipment:

http://www.nov.com/Brands/Rolligon.aspx (look up the body load units when you have a few minutes)

NOV purchased Rolligon after I left there. It was a good place to work and made a lot of great friends there. Man, I miss the availibility of the machinery they had there; if we bought the material (And got their pricing!) we could use the shop off the clock for personal projects.:D

Your table is great in both function and design, this thread will be referenced again when the time comes.:notworthy:

I will get myself a welding machine some day, but I have to increase the capacity of the electrical panel first. The pool/hot tub pumps have taken all my panel space up for now. But a nice dip in a warm pool is something to look forwad to in the afternoons!

That is a very nice table, I like how you put bolts in the bottem of the legs very smart :notworthy:

I built mine last summer. The top is 3x5 feet, made of 3/4" plate. Legs are 4x4x 1/4" on heavy duty casters.

It weighs almost 700 pounds. Flipping it over was something out of the Three Stooges, using my lathe as an anchor point and the Jeep's winch to pull it over.

It managed to crush (literally) two jackstands when a strap decided to move on me, knocking the stands over and dropping the table on them. :eek:

I'd post a pic but my front axle is disassembled on it at the moment. :pissed:

Very cool! I need to do the same with my new welder - is it nice and stable?
Yes, nice and stable. 3/8 inch would also work but I am happy with 1/4 inch tabletop. Stability came from triangulation and the adjustable feet to prevent it from wobbling.
13323d1362366666-build-welding-table-welding-table-foot-medium-.jpg

I have used this bolt and welded nut "foot" on other projects. It works out nice. When I make something with four legs such as a grinder stand I only use the adjustable foot on one leg. In that case you don't need to have the whole thing level. You only need to keep it from wobbling. The floor is usually level enough.

Last edited:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks