Brush guard light wiring.

Billettt

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1976 CJ7
2009 Jeep Commander
1975 CJ5
I just picked up a set of off road lights at a garage sale, all they came with were the lights and the mounting bolts. Anyone know what wiring I will need and where to run the wires to?

the best way is to use a Bosh relay to turn the lights on with power directly from the battery. The relay coil is powered by the high beam circuit and controlled by a dash switch. This allows full power to the lights with no high current under the dash and allows them to be on only when the high beams are on.
you can pick up the relay kit just about anywhere aux lights are sold.:cool:

You can also wire them to a toggle switch. Wiring the bosch relay is very simple and safe. If you wire it to a seperate toggle switch that gets its power from a constant 12v (non-keyed power) you can turn the lights on with the ignition off.

You can also wire them to a toggle switch. Wiring the bosch relay is very simple and safe. If you wire it to a seperate toggle switch that gets its power from a constant 12v (non-keyed power) you can turn the lights on with the ignition off.

Jimbo, the only problem with your option is that in some states that is illegal, i.e Pennsylvania for example. I only know that because I am a certified inspection mechanic in PA, and there are some places that will not pass your rig on an inspection if fog/offroad lights work when the high beams are on. Of course if you know the right guy....

Anyway, IO and Jimbo are both correct, the best way is to use a relay, just make sure how you wire them to work the way that's legal where you live, that's all.

so they should not work with the high? just the low? I just think it is cool not to be able to turn the aux lights on and forget them or turn them on by accident.

Jimbo, the only problem with your option is that in some states that is illegal, i.e Pennsylvania for example. I only know that because I am a certified inspection mechanic in PA, and there are some places that will not pass your rig on an inspection if fog/offroad lights work when the high beams are on. Of course if you know the right guy....

Anyway, IO and Jimbo are both correct, the best way is to use a relay, just make sure how you wire them to work the way that's legal where you live, that's all.

I don't know about every state IO. I do know the law in PA is that aux/fog/offroad lights are not allowed to be on when the high beams are on.

Brand new cars have been built that way for years, factory fog lights turn off when the high beams are on.

that makes perfect sense Elwood, I knew they needed to only come on when the headlights were on but for some reason I thought it was with the high beams. My mistake, thanks.:cool:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks