Broken lug studs

Broken lug studs

FiNorman

Senior Jeeper
Lifetime Supporter
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1985 CJ7, AMC 360, lunati cam, AX15, Affordable Fuel Injection, edelbrock performer manifold, 21 gallon fuel tank, Old Man Emu 2.5 inch lift, 1 inch body lift, tie rod flip, HMMWV H1 steering box, rear disc brake conversion, Dana 44 rear, YJ to CJ tub conversion, still working on 33 inch tires, Metallic dark blue paint.

Scrambler Project, cosmetically taking it back to the 80's- 1984 Scrambler, Laredo. 258cc, Holley Sniper EFI, 30in tires on Laredo polished wheels, Dana 44 rear, OME 2.5 YJ springs/lift, HMMWV steering box

Previously owned cj 7, 1979, Renegade, 258 and a '89 wrangler
While removing the oversized tire of of the jeep I broke off two of the lug bolts holding the wheel. I am going to convert my drum brakes to disc brakes anyway using this method AMC 20 disk brakes

Therefore I know I need to save some of the old backing plate, but I'm having trouble figuring out how to get these lugs off and the wheel, which is still attached to the axle off.

Can I just hit them with a punch through the wheel lug hole and pop them out the back side?

I have heard heat will work but I don't have a blow torch, does anyone have an option for applying heat which is cheaper than buying a whole set up.

So the lug nuts are broke off right? I'm trying to figure why the wheel is still on. A pic would help.
the OEM 2 piece axle had press in studs, so you should be able to hammer them out with a punch.
Most of the 1 piece aftermarket axles use screw in studs.

So the lug nuts are broke off right? I'm trying to figure why the wheel is still on. A pic would help.
the OEM 2 piece axle had press in studs, so you should be able to hammer them out with a punch.
Most of the 1 piece aftermarket axles use screw in studs.

I'm starting to see what happened, the actual lug nut broke off in the well of the whole for the wheel.

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    39.6 KB · Views: 364
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    38.5 KB · Views: 467
  • photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    42.3 KB · Views: 389
It looks like the wrong lug nuts were used. You need mag lug nuts. The cheep ones use washers like this:
MagShankClosed_A.png

Instead of washers the nice ones use collars like this:
41a5Hdb1zlL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
EDIT: you might just be missing the washers.

Last edited:
So the way I see it, using the wrong lug nuts created too much slop in that soft aluminum wheel and hard rocking back and forth busted the lugs. I would hope that using the correct collars and nuts in those counterbored holes the wheels would still be usable if the holes are not too badly damaged.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks