Borg Warner T-90 to Chevy 229 v6

Borg Warner T-90 to Chevy 229 v6

Jonathan5235

Jeeper
Thanks
I just purchased a 1980 Chevy 229 today for $95 that looks to be in good shape and have a few questions about its compatibility with a Borg-Warner T-90 trans. I pulled the existing '67 Chevy 350 (It's in real bad shape and doesn't run, though it kills me to downgrade :() out and there is an adapter plate for it on the transmission. I'm wondering if this will this work with the 229, or if the 229 even requires an adapter? Also will the clutch and flywheel work with the 229, or will I need to find new ones?
I'm new to Jeeps, so your input is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I just purchased a 1980 Chevy 229 today for $95 that looks to be in good shape and have a few questions about its compatibility with a Borg-Warner T-90 trans. I pulled the existing '67 Chevy 350 (It's in real bad shape and doesn't run, though it kills me to downgrade :() out and there is an adapter plate for it on the transmission. I'm wondering if this will this work with the 229, or if the 229 even requires an adapter? Also will the clutch and flywheel work with the 229, or will I need to find new ones?
I'm new to Jeeps, so your input is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

The 229 (3.8) is to the SBC what a 231 (3.8) is to a Buick: they are the same as their V8 brothers except for year differences. The 4.3 V6 is a direct descendant of the 229. The 229 uses the same bellhousing pattern as the 4.3 and I believe that the adapters should be the same. All chevy engines require an adapter to use with CJ-era trannies as far as I know.

The 229 (3.8) and its little bro the 200 (3.3) were such low-output engines ( below 100 hp IIRC) that they probably aren't included in many swap directories as they are probably very uncommon for swaps. That, and they were only around for 4 or 5 years.

EDIT: found this:

The Chevrolet Small Block V6 Engine - Novak Conversions

Last edited:
You can't find a running chev 350 where you live? They are a dime a dosen here. My buddy bought one a few months ago that was rebuilt for $300

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks