Bleeding the cooling system-I6

Bleeding the cooling system-I6

duke94

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
77 CJ5, 83 CJ7
What's the correct method of bleeding the air from the cooling system? I installed a new water pump, heater core, thermostat and all the hoses. When I started it up I didn't get any coolant flow from the upper hose back into the rad and the temp gauge was going towards the hot. Water does go through the heater core. I assume I have an air bubble at the T-stat or did I missed something.

From the top hose at the radiator, go easy on it, safety glasses would be good here. I have heard of guys just driving up and down steep hills to get the air at the top of the radiator.
Edit: here is an easy way-http://www.doityourself.com/stry/how-to-bleed-air-from-your-cooling-system

Last edited:
The last thing I want to do is sound like you are stupid but are you sure you put the thermostat in right? And I always drill a small hole in it to let any air excape.

The last thing I want to do is sound like you are stupid but are you sure you put the thermostat in right? And I always drill a small hole in it to let any air excape.
I thought I might have also, but I pulled it apart and it was in correct (spring toward engine). I like your idea of drilling a small hole, I'll give it a try along with raising the front end and looseing the temp sensor in the back of the head.

Thanks,

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks