Black Betty is on the road again

Black Betty is on the road again

Turbogus

Old Time Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'78 CJ 5 Renegade (Black Betty) Motor AMC 360, T150 trans, 20 tc, Dana 30 front and Dana 44 rear w/posi

'96 GMC K1500 Suburban (Big Blue Basterd) fully loaded with over $10k in options
Been driving 'BB' for a week now on my 20 miles commute and she's purring like a kitten these days, at long last. The only nits are despite a new Omix speedometer cable something's amiss, the odometer turns but not the speed indicator, my guess is the internal plastic gears are shot. Been using my tachomter and amplitude of my exhaust to gauge my speed until I get to the bottom of this. Also the brake master cylinder seems to sporadically leak, despite a new gasket (made in China). Other than that, I'm enjoying have 'BB' running reliably again.

Awesome. It felt great when I got my Scrambler back on the road this spring. And there are always the little things to "finish" it up.

Does make the world 'rite' again, don't it. :notworthy:
:chug:
LG

Gus, you might try rotating those cables 90 degrees on each end to get your speedo to work, also inspecting the mating surfaces while you are at it. I am sure your cable is lubricated.

If you put in a new speedo cable the new cable end could be too long where it goes in the back of the speedo. You can't allow it to bottom out inside the speedo head. I had the same symptom as you until I trimmed the cable. Just a thought.

If you have a smart phone, they have pretty accurate GPS based speedometer apps for free - I used one for a while :D

:chug:

If you put in a new speedo cable the new cable end could be too long where it goes in the back of the speedo. You can't allow it to bottom out inside the speedo head. I had the same symptom as you until I trimmed the cable. Just a thought.

Great idea!
Thanks all for the congrats and suggestions, just befor I was getting into the speedomter the horn got stuck on. Come to find the wire inside of the column is loose, good time to repair/replace the Haz button that won't stay pushed in.

It's been a long stange trip I can tell ya Gert :chug:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks