Build Thread Bill's 75 CJ5 ground up rebuild

Build Thread Bill's 75 CJ5 ground up rebuild
That looks great!! Definately one of my favorite builds. :notworthy: Your attention to detail and workmanship far exceeds mine but really gives me something to strive for. :chug:

tarry99 - I'll hold you to that.

Since this morning, I tightened a few things up and rolled it out of the garage and rinsed off some dust and a bit of spilt coolant from burping the cooling system. Then I started it up and drove it back into the garage. And then I figured "what the hell", it seems to be running ok, the brakes work, there aren't any fluids pouring out of it, let's take it out for a little spin. So I took it out and ran it a round the block a couple of times. Put about a mile and half on it. Everything seems to be functioning well except for the horn, which I had to disconnect because it went off when I turned the wheel :eek:. Anyway, you can probably tell I'm pretty stoked about it.

Here's a few pics of it out on the driveway today.

Just found your build thread (U welcomed and posted on mine! :) ) Thanks for the encouragement and WoW what a nice job on your build! Thanks for taking the time to post your progress, really gives me perspective on my 75'.

I'll have to finish mine now and then get together with you & JR and make a run up in the hills somewhere.

:chug:

tarry99 - I'll hold you to that.

I can't wait to see this thing in person!

I'd like to take a snow trip up to the hills this winter, but not sure when...

You all tell me when your planning, and I'll try to sneak it into the budget! :cool:

I'll be the "ghetto" jeep :laugh:

~ Jr

You all tell me when your planning, and I'll try to sneak it into the budget! :cool:

~ Jr

:)Mine will not be ready till the spring going to get the chasis and the body to the sand blaster in a few weeks......so forget the Snow for me.

And your right we'll have to get Billy's Jeep all covered with Mud so not to make ours look bad!!!!
:D:D:D:D

~ Jr

JR - Like I said before, anytime you want to make the trip down you're welcome. I doubt I'm gonna have all the bugs worked out of this thing much before spring though.

tarry99 - I'm sure I'll get it muddy enough in the future. Just want to let a little of the "new" soak in for a while.

Since it rained all weekend, I spent time adjusting stuff that still needed adjusting and then started building a radiator fan shroud. I could've bought a stock one for about a $100, but not sure if it would fit with the set up I have so decided to build one. Will post some pics of it when I'm done.

Bill :chug:

Bill,

I have just started my 1976 CJ7 Rebuild and I can only it will turn out as nice as your 5. Awesome work and thanks for sharing!!!

I like the dask work a lot and I may still your idea if you don't mind.

Again, thanks for sharing,
Mike:notworthy:

Hey Bill, would you mind telling me which brand and model of guages you got? The more I see it you have me going down the custom panel path. I really liked the ones you chose but I am unfamiliar with aftermarket gauges. Thanks! :chug:

Outstanding rebuild Bill!

Bill,

I have just started my 1976 CJ7 Rebuild and I can only it will turn out as nice as your 5. Awesome work and thanks for sharing!!!

I like the dask work a lot and I may still your idea if you don't mind.

Again, thanks for sharing,
Mike:notworthy:

Mike - feel free to use the idea for the dash, I borrowed it from a neighbor who did a similiar one in his CJ7.

Hey Bill, would you mind telling me which brand and model of guages you got? The more I see it you have me going down the custom panel path. I really liked the ones you chose but I am unfamiliar with aftermarket gauges. Thanks! :chug:

C dubya - The gauges are Auto Meter Pro-Comp Ultra Lite. The small gauges are the 2 5/8" diameter and the tach and speedo are the 3 1/8" diameter. The speedo is the mechanical one. I don't know a heck of alot about aftermarket gauges either. I was given a couple of the gauges, so I just matched what I had. I know Auto Meter by reputation and the gauges seem pretty good. Got them from Summit.

First off, I want to apologize for not responding faster to some off you who have asked questions about my build. For some reason, I've stopped getting email notifications when someone posts to a thread I've subscribed to. Anyway, if I don't look at the forum everyday I don't see the posts.

I fabbed up a fan shroud to help with the cooling a little. Just bent up some sheet metal and made it up as I went. Think it came out pretty good, so I decided while I was in tin bending mode to build a center console too. Not quite finished with it, but it will house a radio and I'll be able to lock it up, just like the ones for $250.

C dubya - The gauges are Auto Meter Pro-Comp Ultra Lite. The small gauges are the 2 5/8" diameter and the tach and speedo are the 3 1/8" diameter. The speedo is the mechanical one. I don't know a heck of alot about aftermarket gauges either. I was given a couple of the gauges, so I just matched what I had. I know Auto Meter by reputation and the gauges seem pretty good. Got them from Summit.

I thought those were the ones Bill, I just wanted clarification. Thanks for the info! And you have some fine metal bending skills sir.

You just keep on impressing me with your skills. :notworthy::drool:

First off, I want to apologize for not responding faster to some off you who have asked questions about my build. For some reason, I've stopped getting email notifications when someone posts to a thread I've subscribed to. Anyway, if I don't look at the forum everyday I don't see the posts.

I fabbed up a fan shroud to help with the cooling a little. Just bent up some sheet metal and made it up as I went. Think it came out pretty good, so I decided while I was in tin bending mode to build a center console too. Not quite finished with it, but it will house a radio and I'll be able to lock it up, just like the ones for $250.

:)Wow!....... Bills Heating and sheetmetal shop...............I'm Impressed!

That is a great looking project....i took the body/tub off my 81 CJ around September...stalled for a while as my wife is preggers......am looking forward to starting again....good inspiration from your posts and you set the bar pretty high!!!!

I will keep looking to see what else you have cooking.

Good luck and keep up the good work!

:)Wow!....... Bills Heating and sheetmetal shop...............I'm Impressed!

I can pretty much figure out how to do any construction based skill as long as I take my time. I've been in and around the construction business all my life. Doesn't hurt having a small sheet metal brake either.

The next hurdle is to get an exhaust system put on this thing. I'm going to trailer it over to a shop in Sonora, but until this wet weather breaks it'll have to wait.

I can pretty much figure out how to do any construction based skill as long as I take my time. I've been in and around the construction business all my life. Doesn't hurt having a small sheet metal brake either.

The next hurdle is to get an exhaust system put on this thing. I'm going to trailer it over to a shop in Sonora, but until this wet weather breaks it'll have to wait.

:)Good for you Billy.............Your skills are showing off!
We are very much alike .........I hardly go outside to buy anything I can't build inhouse, unless the other guy is just so cheap it's not worth wasting my time. I also have 24" box & 24" shear & 24" roller and a 6" knotcher here. There on wheels so I can move them around...........always nice to have the tools.
Keep up the good work!

WOW !!! :notworthy:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom