Best winch ever made

Best winch ever made

LASTCJ786

Senior Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
86 CJ7 258, T18, Scout 300,twinstick ,Dana 44 front locker, Dana 44 rear locker 3:73's,4"lift ,1" body. 35" tires,York OBA,Warn 8274,Fullcage.
What do you think is the best Winch ever made? and why?
I say it's the Warn 8274 8,000 lb
Why:Gear drive and 150' of cable! A staple in the world of 4wheelin'

I would agree that the 8274 is an icon, and a great winch, but it's design is dated and performance is not up to some of today's standards in design.
Currently the xd9000i is the work horse of the jeep world, it is a good design with a nice service rating and is a top seller among premium winches. A top seller for good reasons, it can be used and abused and keeps on ticking.
Warn has stepped ahead with winch design by using a thermal safety system (looking for a layman's term for heater which is an electrical motor term) This is a system that makes a winch almost self diagnosing to point of burn out and makes it a better winch because you cannot burn it out. Another first by Warn. And I believe making it a better winch. This tech is seen in the 9.5ti.
But my pick for best winch ever made is the Warn Power Plant HP . It offers a thermally protected winch such as the 9.5ti but adds a inter-cooled air pump making it both versatile and space saving.

Yep I like Warn winches, they are always at the fore front of design and built extreme dependable winches.
so it is no wonder I have a xd900i on my 70 CJ6
and my pick for best ever winch the Power Plant HP on my 67 CJ5

What do you think is the best Winch ever made? and why?
I say it's the Warn 8274 8,000 lb
Why:Gear drive and 150' of cable! A staple in the world of 4wheelin'

X2 on that!:punk:

Also going to agree on the 8274.

I would agree that the 8274 is an icon, and a great winch, but it's design is dated and performance is not up to some of today's standards in design.
Currently the xd9000i is the work horse of the jeep world, it is a good design with a nice service rating and is a top seller among premium winches. A top seller for good reasons, it can be used and abused and keeps on ticking.
Warn has stepped ahead with winch design by using a thermal safety system (looking for a layman's term for heater which is an electrical motor term) This is a system that makes a winch almost self diagnosing to point of burn out and makes it a better winch because you cannot burn it out. Another first by Warn. And I believe making it a better winch. This tech is seen in the 9.5ti.
But my pick for best winch ever made is the Warn Power Plant HP . It offers a thermally protected winch such as the 9.5ti but adds a inter-cooled air pump making it both versatile and space saving.

Yep I like Warn winches, they are always at the fore front of design and built extreme dependable winches.
so it is no wonder I have a xd900i on my 70 CJ6
and my pick for best ever winch the Power Plant HP on my 67 CJ5

i dont know alot about wenches but i have to say that the powerplant hp is what i want after reading about it. only problem is that almost all of the wenches mentioned about cost almost as much as i paid for the jeep!:eek:

i dont know alot about wenches but i have to say that the powerplant hp is what i want after reading about it. only problem is that almost all of the wenches mentioned about cost almost as much as i paid for the jeep!:eek:

I've owned my 8274 for several rigs now.;)

wonder what Old Dog will say after abusing his 9.5yi for a year?

I saved up for a year for mine, and then needed part of my income taxes to buy it. They are great let me tell you, My Viair constant duty on board air system no longer takes up valuable space in the Jeep, I have a thermally protected winch that will cut out before the motor burns up.(Sorry to hear that Cheap) and it looks great to.

i'm still workin on gettin one from my little brother, he went and burnt the motor up and is still trying to get $150 out of me for it, thats what he wanted before he burnt the motor up!
Killed the motor? Weird, the motors usually work for ever... :),

i guess thats what happened, it will still spool out and in but when you put a load on it, it quits. so i'll still buy it and rebuild it, it'll be just like everything else on the jeep used, abused, and rebuilt. 10-4

It might just be a weak solenoid. I'd try that first, it's always nice to have a spare anyway.:D

ill give it a shot hopefully it something simple, theres a place in chattanooga that rebuilds starters and alternators, theres also an electric motor place but i don't know much about them. i plan on going through the winch anyway, don't wanna get stuck out in the middle of no where and have the winch leave me stranded

ill give it a shot hopefully it something simple, theres a place in chattanooga that rebuilds starters and alternators, theres also an electric motor place but i don't know much about them. i plan on going through the winch anyway, don't wanna get stuck out in the middle of no where and have the winch leave me stranded

You can buy any parts you need from warn.

i was looking at their website the other day and i couldn't find anything for the 8274, everything was for the 8274-50. maybe i wasn't lookin hard enough

It looks like you have to put in you ser. # for the older model parts.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks