Best way to remove broken bolts

Best way to remove broken bolts

ColoradoCJ7

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
Current - 1978 J20 401 auto, 1981 CJ7 304 5 speed and 2007 JK Uunlimited Rubicon all running 35" or 37" tires
Previous -1979 CJ7, 1984 CJ7, 1984 CJ7, 1997 TJ, 1990 YJ
I have a CJ7 and the PO broke a ton of bolts off and I am just looking for some suggestions.

I have a CJ7 and the PO broke a ton of bolts off and I am just looking for some suggestions.

If there is any bolt at least flush with the top of the hole I weld a nut on the end. the heat contracts the bolt and it will, about half the time, come right out. The other half of the time it's a drill and eazy out and penitrating oil. when this does not work the hole is drilled oversize and tapped for a helicoil.:cool:

If there is any bolt at least flush with the top of the hole I weld a nut on the end. the heat contracts the bolt and it will, about half the time, come right out. The other half of the time it's a drill and eazy out and penitrating oil. when this does not work the hole is drilled oversize and tapped for a helicoil.:cool:

X2 on that.

All these are great ideas I use them at work all the time. On drilling out the bolt to use a easy out I always use left handed drill to make the holes. When using the left handed bits some times the broken bolt will come out while drilling and if it doesn't easy out time.

Now working on heavy equipment I have burned out the bolts with a torch it is kinda time consuming. I do this on bigger bolts 1/2inc or bigger, smaller than that and there are issues that come up. Like messing up the hole and taking a lot of time fixing it.

When I got my 66 (F head four cyl) there was only one stud holding the exhaust manifold on. I welded a washer on the broken studs then a nut to the washer and got all but one out. The rear one is still broken and will stay that way untill I have to pull the head.:D

An old trick on rusty stuck bolts is to cover it with candle wax and hit it with a torch/heat gun, the wax melts down inside the threads and helps get it out.
If you already broke it well see #2 above.

I just got a broken bolt removal kit (Grab it type thing) going to give that a try when I get a free minute.

Great suggestions by the way.

I just got a broken bolt removal kit (Grab it type thing) going to give that a try when I get a free minute.

Great suggestions by the way.

well let us know how it works.
all the suggestions will be at least successful some of the time but any way you look at it, at very best, broken bolts are a pain in the arse!! and if you find some thing that works at all it needs to be added to the list of options.

well let us know how it works.
all the suggestions will be at least successful some of the time but any way you look at it, at very best, broken bolts are a pain in the arse!! and if you find some thing that works at all it needs to be added to the list of options.

X-10 on that!:cool:

Q; how does an Aggie torque a bolt??
A; tighten it until it breaks and back off a quarter turn.:laugh:

I appreciate all the suggestions, I was able to get them out and the new bolts in! Yes a little taste of victory!

When you say apply heat, is there a cheap way to apply heat if you don't have a blow torch set up? Something from Harbour Freight?

You can go to any home depot, ace, or lowes and get a propane torch and tank for less than $20. They are normally used for soldering water pipes but they can work on bolts just the same. Most importantly, take your time and use as little as it takes to get the job done.

Yeah, that's sorta like cross threading them so you don't have to use thread locker.

You can go to any home depot, ace, or lowes and get a propane torch and tank for less than $20. They are normally used for soldering water pipes but they can work on bolts just the same.
Yup, I've done this. I was told by an old geezer (always listen to old geezers) to heat my broken bolt until it glowed, then go away and let it cool. I then spun it out with a pair of vice-grips, just like he said I would.

You don't use candle wax, it's beeswax.
One thing nobody hit on is a little planning can save a ton of work.
If you know you are going to be dealing with potential issues soak them down with PB Blaster or Kroil for a day or two prior.
I have used just about every method to pull broken bolts and studs and they all have their place. How you deal with it depends on what access to the fastener you have.
Instead of propane use MAPP gas, it runs a good bit hotter.

Glad ya got em out. When I have to do this I always use good steel nuts. In my experience some of the cheap zinc nuts are imposable to weld. (weld contamination and kinda toxic)

Also if you are trying this on broken stainless fasteners I've had them expand and seize into place even worse. Then I had to drill them out.

Just fyi of the next time.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom