Best way to handle Frame Rot

Best way to handle Frame Rot

Mudslinger85

Jeeper
Thanks
OK here's the deal...I have recently purchased a 73 CJ5 304V8. Naturally
the Frame has some pretty bad rust rot goin on under the rear shackle mounts.
MOOG sells the pre-made caps that you weld on but I was told it was better to go with metal strap and 3X2 angle iron. Any thoughts or experience in dealing
with this problem?

I just did my left side and gearing up for the right. Unless you really have a lot to cut out I would just scab it and make your own. Im too cheap to buy the pricey frame repair pieces sold by others.
I had about 6 to 8 inches of bad frame and cut it off with a cutting wheel. Found a close fit square tubing and welded it on and then scabbed patches all around it and then made angle iron body mount for the rear. Its rock solid.
Only part that was hard was drilling the holes for the shackles.

I am restoring a scrambler with a bad frame and I cut the back 36 inches right off and replaced it with square tubing. I am fishplating the sides and I cut of the original body moutn to weld back onto the new frame section. This was much cheaper and I didn't weld new plate onto and old rusty frame section like you would be doing with the expensive repair plates.

Just started wire wheelin and cleaning it up today. I found a lot more areas that need attention. I really don't wanna do a frame swap so I'm hoping to get it all strapped and braced up. We'll see
thanks for the input

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks