best way to fix this scrambler frame WITHOUT getting a new one

best way to fix this scrambler frame WITHOUT getting a new one

raser13

Active Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1977 CJ-5 '83 amc 258 straight six, motorcraft 2100 carb ,inline fuel pump, 1000 cca battery ,T-175 tranny,
hey guys, i just became the proud owner of an 82 CJ8/scrambler. the worst off part of this rig is the frame. basically from right above the rear axle all the way to the back bumper is pretty much swiss cheese. i know that the scrambler frames and scramblers in general are getting pretty rare. so finding another frame to chop up and weld is pretty much out. or getting one in good shape will cost more than i paid for the whole thing. so again pretty much out.

so i was wondering if the back section of a CJ7 would be a direct match up directly so i can this off and weld a new section in? or some other frame? or is there a good way to replace the sections with welding in fresh metal? or can i just chop up another cj frame in sections and weld them back together to make the shape of the existing frame? i'm on a pretty meager budget. but i know when it comes to the frame it needs to be done right. so if i can do it right cheaper right great. but if i need to save and spend more to do it right then that's what i need to do. here's the pics so you can advise me better.

first, up this section is just forward of the rear axle on the passenger side.

VzzhPSO.jpg

second, is the cross member between the axle and the back bumper

GcWtjjx.jpg

third, is a shot of the AMC20 back axle. and a long shot of the cross member just before the axle.

MAgogid.jpg

forth up,is the real nastyness. it's the drivers side frame bar behind the rear axle.

7mExWmP.jpg

fith, is the pass. side frame bar just to the rear of the axle.

hN2xiSJ.jpg

sixth, is a patch that some one already did to the outside of the passenger frame bar. again right behind the axle.

83KvRgZ.jpg

seventh in line, is the remains of the body bushing and attachment points on the drives side at the back bumper

8CJJvHg.jpg

eighth up, is a wider shot of that back cross member behind the axle

G2PNMiD.jpg

ninth, is another previous patch. this time drivers side

G2PNMiD.jpg

i know it's really rough. i got a steal on this rig. that allows for a little more wiggle room on repairs. i see this as the worst so this is the starting point. that way i know what i have left to work with once i get done. i know i could just slap some thick steel on there like one of the POs did. but my kids going to ride in this rig so it needs to be done well. best scenario is one of you will tell me that there is another jeep frame that will match up to that section exactly and i can just cut off the bad parts and weld on the new. but i'm not holding my breath. worst case is that i would have to find another scrambler frame some where and pay the made out of gold price that some one would want for the thing

so hit me with your info, suggestions(scrapping it is not one), or concerns. any info is good info. if you need better pics of any area just ask. might take to the weekend to get to them but i will get them. thanks for taking the time to look/respond.

Congrats on the new to you Scrambler. Check out my build thread. I spent this past winter and spring doing a frame swap. I do not have the welding skills required and my frame had been patched more than a baby's quilt.

I was looking on craigslist for frames. Found a few for $1,000 or there abouts. I got really lucky and found one a few hours away that had already been blasted and primed. I had new body mounts welded on locally and went to town on the swap. I was on a pretty low budget as well, but knew that the bulk of it was going to be the frame.

Good luck. And yeah, you will be pointed toward TDK for a new frame. Those are really nice. But they were out of my budget.

http://www.cj-8.com/forum/showthread.php?44398-My-De-Rustification-Project

Last edited:
but does any one have an alternative way to fix it? would the back end of a CJ7 frame match up any where near close?

but does any one have an alternative way to fix it? would the back end of a CJ7 frame match up any where near close?

I am not sure, bit I would say yes. A friend is going to pick up my old frame to use for measurements as he is planning to take a frame for a 7 and stretch it for an 8. So I think it can be done. But I am not sure exactly where the length was added on the frame. Hopefully someone else will chime in. (Maybe someone on the CJ8 site will know as well - now that you are registered there).

I'm registered. I'm just waiting for the mods to approve my account activation. Till then I can't post. But once I can your going to see me ALL over that site.

:)

Not an easy job regardless if you have portions of a donor chassis standing by. There are folks out there that build and sell rear chassis sections.

The first question you need to ask yourself is do I have the time , place, equipment and talent to pull that off.......I've done many and have all of the above.........but sometimes the net result doesn't add up to the cost in time , labor and $$$.

Judging from what I see in the rear how's the rest of the chassis? In order to graft either new or used material on you must first find suitable clean non-rusted stable material forward of that connection. Even then the connection has to be sleeved and done correctly.....

Not trying to discourage you from trying to fix what you have , But As mentioned above sometimes getting another chassis is a better solution.

:D:D:D:D

Time is not a problem, this is an extra project. I'm slating about a year or two to rebuilding this. It's going to be a full ground up rebuild.

We have the place we have the equipment. The talkent is the question. We're good at welding. Been restoring a 65 rebel wagon and a 73 AMC javelin. Both were saved out of junkyards. So we've been patching both the bodies and the unibody frames.

I will admit this would be a learning experience. We knew about sleeving it if we had to section it. The rest of the frame looks and feels solid. It's just bad from the top of the rear axle back. It needs a little structure added were some of the frame to body mounts are but that's just a jeep.

Were are these folks that sell the back frame sections? I've been searching for something like that on the net and apparently my Google fu has been off because all I've seen is wholeframes for like 2K. That's twice what I paid for the whole jeep.

Kinda why I'm looking for a more reasonable alternative. I have no problem learning how to do a new thing. So if I can get one of the rebuilt rear sections for say half that we would good money and time.

Not trying to discourage you from trying to fix what you have , But As mentioned above sometimes getting another chassis is a better solution.

I'm with Tarry. You're going to end up with a 35 year old frame with a patched section on the rear.

Decide right now what your plans are for the Scrambler. If you're going to keep it 'forever', then spend the money and get a NEW frame from TDK. You won't regret it once the sting from the cost wears off.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks