Best disc brakes for 1975 CJ5 ?

Best disc brakes for 1975 CJ5 ?

billkiene

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
none
Any recommendations for good quality disc brakes on all 4 with a parking brake for a 1975 CJ5?

For some hwy and some mild off-roading because I am 73 and not a serious racer or rock crawler.

And because I lived through the drum brake era into the disc brake era I am a big fan of disc brakes.

Thanks for any help here.

I just replied to your transmission question....Are you in the process of buying a '75, or specifically wanting to buy that year model?

You can swap parts from the knuckle out from a CJ disc brake Dana 30 to get discs on the front. I also saw on another post (maybe another forum) a few days ago of a kit on ebay for $500-600 that uses all new hubs/calipers/discs/brackets/etc, but is designed to keep your drum knuckles and spindles and stronger 6 bolt hubs. The 81 and newer D30s have a weaker 5 bolt lockout hub design, but are much easier to find than the older 6 bolt disc parts. Either way, you will also need a new master cylinder and proportioning valve.

I'm sure there are other options I'm not aware of.

As for the rear, I wouldn't bother with a disc swap. They are very expensive, and the feedback I've read from others is there isn't much difference on a CJ. I would spend that money on a power assist upgrade instead.

Thanks jp360cj

I am thinking of buying a 1975 or older CJ because of the California smog laws.

I know that most of the stopping on most vehicles is the front brakes.

Any recommendations for good quality disc brakes on all 4 with a parking brake for a 1975 CJ5?

For some hwy and some mild off-roading because I am 73 and not a serious racer or rock crawler.

And because I lived through the drum brake era into the disc brake era I am a big fan of disc brakes.

Thanks for any help here.
I have too but our opinions differ. Disc brakes are self adjusting... but so are drum brakes if set up properly.
Fact is, drum brakes have far more stopping power. I’m pretty sure that is the purpose of brakes.
If you insist on disc brakes, use them on the front & leave drum brakes on the rear.
So it seems you are going to a lot of trouble and expense to have less.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks