Trans Bellhousing Replacement

Trans Bellhousing Replacement

HossPete

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'78 CJ7, Golden Eagle,. 304 V8, T150, D20
Bellhousing Removal - I have a '78 CJ7 with a three-speed and an AMC304. Just rebuilt the engine, put it back in and went to install my clutch assembly bracket. Something wasn't right - I reached up and grabbed the bell housing where the clutch bracket bolts in, and the whole piece of bell housing came out in my hand. Broke right off.

I've sourced a new bellhousing, but my question is - how best to go about changing it. Is it as simple as dropping the tranny/transfer case and just unbolting the new one? How do I navigate the clutch lever? Pretty sure I can figure it out, but wanted to see if there were any tips/tricks from anyone who's changed out a bell housing before.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Bellhousing Crack.jpg
    Bellhousing Crack.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 3
  • Bellhousing Chunk.jpg
    Bellhousing Chunk.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 3
  • Bellhousing Piece.jpg
    Bellhousing Piece.jpg
    248 KB · Views: 3
When I removed mine prior to the engine/tranny swap, I removed skid plate, removed the drive shafts, removed the tunnel cover inside the Jeep, removed the shifters, used a low profile floor jack and a piece of plywood under the tranny/x-fer case, unbolted the bell housing from the back of the engine, slid the assembly back enough to clear the shaft, and lowered it all down. I did have to reach the top bell housing bolts from under the hood rather than from underneath the vehicle. Actually easier than I expected. When I installed the new GM V8 and auto trans, same process in reverse. I installed the engine, bolted on the torque converter, and then used the jack and plywood to raise up and install the trans and x-fer case pre-assembled together as a unit. I have a 4" spring lift and 35" tires, so no ground clearance issues. But if I had a lift, it would have been even easier.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom