Body Attaching CJ7 hardtop to windshield frame (first time)

Body Attaching CJ7 hardtop to windshield frame (first time)

Texas CJ

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1984 CJ7; 6 cylinder; hardtop; Renegade
1984 CJ7 Hardtop. Currently mounted to the CJ7.

I was going to remove the top for the first time and I am looking at the attachment at the front. It seems that the hardtop is attached to the windshield frame with pop rivets and a thin metal strip. I may be the on the bad end of someones good intentioned modifications. I don't know. The metal strip is riveted to the top and the windshield. This doesn't seem standard. Can someone tell how the attachment is supposed to be made to the windshield? Also, is there a rubber seal in this area that may need to be replaced? Thanks.

Mine is screwed onto the frame at the metal strip but I'm also not the original owner. For all I know the rivets were drilled out and replaced with screws

Sent from my E7110 using Tapatalk

Mine are just Philips metal screws

That riveted metal strip should be there. You're going to have to wait until I get home and I can snap a picture of mine (it's off the CJ right now). If you haven't already figured it out.

As for seals, yes, there are.

This kit is for the windshield. Those little corner pieces are a pain in the butt.

This is for between the top and the tub.

You're also going to need a scraper and some goo gone or something similar to remove the old adhesive so the new stuff will stick.

Here's one of my parts jeep but my top is set up the same way. Screws are out as the top is just sitting on there4e36e36be7173b5ffa0b0580068d94fa.jpg2cdd3b571c1fd3fa187b600bc0ad6b19.jpg

The picture helps a lot! Thanks. I guess someone decided to make my top permanent because I have rivets in all the holes. I will remove the ones on the bottom and then see what I have to do.

If you just drill off the head and then use an 1/8" drill bit to drill out the center a simple Philips metal screw with fit right in the hole

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks