Anyone running Borgeson Steering shaft?

Anyone running Borgeson Steering shaft?

huntnCJfool

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'79 CJ5, 258 I6, Weber 38 DGMS, T18 & Dana 20, AMC 20 Rear, Dana 30 Front, Rolling on 31x10.5x15's
Anyone running this steering shaft? I like the improvements over the unsealed stock Ujoint. Seems to cause a little slop plus just overall a bit weak looking, especially in manual steering. Everything else on my steering is tight and new. Pretty pricey at 250 if I don't stand to feel improvement...plus it would stand out from the rest of the patina on my jeep. I almost bought it a couple weeks ago but found other things I needed more. Figured I would ask here

Anyone running this steering shaft? I like the improvements over the unsealed stock Ujoint. Seems to cause a little slop plus just overall a bit weak looking, especially in manual steering. Everything else on my steering is tight and new. Pretty pricey at 250 if I don't stand to feel improvement...plus it would stand out from the rest of the patina on my jeep. I almost bought it a couple weeks ago but found other things I needed more. Figured I would ask here

I am...for about four years now. Only difference is it sounds like you started from the bottom and worked your way up, whereas I started with the shaft first.

No complaints. Well made, no fitment issues. Right away noticeably less slop in the wheel, and that was before I addressed anything down below, so I can't imagine you wouldn't see an improvement.

As I recall it was between Borgeson and Flaming River when I researched a replacement...I believe FR was a bit more $ at the time.

I am...for about four years now. Only difference is it sounds like you started from the bottom and worked your way up, whereas I started with the shaft first.

No complaints. Well made, no fitment issues. Right away noticeably less slop in the wheel, and that was before I addressed anything down below, so I can't imagine you wouldn't see an improvement.

As I recall it was between Borgeson and Flaming River when I researched a replacement...I believe FR was a bit more $ at the time.

You are right, the lower assembly is all rebuilt with new parts where needed and new steering box. Even though I don't feel much when I shake the Ujoint by hand, it is the only place where the minimal slop I am feeling can be coming from in my mind. The stock steering shaft leaves a lot to be desired regardless.

I also have the borgenson shaft I like it very tight well made part

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey guys, I'm in the middle of my own frame off 1977 CJ5 restoration. I have been putting most of the work up on youtube as I go, and I just received one of these Borgeson replacement steering column shafts. Haven't installed it yet, but I was talking about in this video: Episode 36 comparing it to the original shaft. I have a person who watch the video who is telling me (in all caps) that I'm wrong to say the Borgeson is better than the original. He says it's soft Korean steel, has no ability to allow for "deviation in the shaft length" and that it's going to take out the upper shaft bearing or damage the box. I've reached out to Borgeson Tech Support directly to see if they'll confirm or deny his points of contention with me, but I searched here and it seems like a lot of folks have installed these. Over time, have they held up well? Any bearing issues? Any other areas of concern I should know about before I respond to the viewers comments?

I installed one from the recommendation of a couple people. Still haven't tested it yet though

I don’t like the securing method of the Borgeson ujoints to the splined connections. They use two crappy set screws. I used locktite on these, and still ckeck them regularly.

I don’t like the securing method of the Borgeson ujoints to the splined connections. They use two crappy set screws. I used locktite on these, and still ckeck them regularly.
Did you drill on the splines and sink the set screws a little deeper ? I did that along with the locktite.

I did in fact grind a notch for better set screw mechanical grab. I still think the original clamp and through bolt method and rag joint performs better and is safer.

“...plus it would stand out from the rest of the patina on my jeep.”

lol I hear you here. My CJ is a hodgepodge of new and old. Maybe when I retire I will turn it into an all new CJ with a frame-off restoration. Let’s keep the thread in line. Sorry for the deviation.

I installed one recently. It's fantastic. No, it's not stock nor does it clamp the splines, but I can't imagine how it would not perform.... It's an extendable shaft and has u-joints at both ends. What am I missing? The dodge truck guys swear by these things.

FWIW, the rebuilt steering box in my jeep was assembled wrong or is for a different application. The notch cut in the input shaft is 180 degrees off, which resulted in PO driving the car for YEARS with the steering wheel upside down. While that is on the list of fixes, the simple solution was the Borgeson shaft.

I got mine installed Friday and shiny new steering wheel. The drivability improvement is amazing tracks perfectly straight. No longer Shaggy driving the mystery machine

I’m installing mine this weekend. Already cleaned it up and got it painted given that it comes bare steel.

Watch your Eastwood 2k aero primers and finish coats. Laid a black primer and then their bare metal grey and it was a little thick and the tolerances on the Borgenson joints and slip shaft were all bound up. Their tolerances were super tight.

2e166cf81b9cc50315668d74d652d7ba.jpg
c18fc0a680f3868156df3750df07f119.jpg
1ca354970ebbb24baf73d3763c61903a.jpg

Great upgrade. I installed the one with the dampener in it (part # 000920). Perfect upgrade to eliminate the lower bell coupling and rubber boot that always tears. "MASSCJ7" is right on painting it. Tight tolerances, so be careful on paint buildup. Also drill two recesses where the set screws press against and use some locktite to allow those set screws to get in tight and not slip. I've used two of these on different rigs and have had my current one about 2 years now and love it.

Great upgrade. I installed the one with the dampener in it (part # 000920). Perfect upgrade to eliminate the lower bell coupling and rubber boot that always tears. "MASSCJ7" is right on painting it. Tight tolerances, so be careful on paint buildup. Also drill two recesses where the set screws press against and use some locktite to allow those set screws to get in tight and not slip. I've used two of these on different rigs and have had my current one about 2 years now and love it.

The only issue I’m having with mine are the set screws backing off, I need to drill spots on my steering shaft to give them something to dig into

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks