Anyone repaired a rusted frame

Anyone repaired a rusted frame

xtrema2

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
79 cj7
Just bought a 79 CJ7 and found the frame rusted into by the right rear spring mount. On the very back looks like from the hump in the rear of the frame all the way back to the bumper needs to be replaced. How do I do it? thanks.

I am doing this on a CJ8 frame. I replaced the whole back half of the frame from the wheel wells to the end with 2x4 1/8 boxed steel and then added additional side plates to where I welded the pieces together. It's alot of work and it needs to be perfectly aligned to the other side so the Jeep won't lean.

I replaced my two rear frame horns just over the rear shackles with square tubing and then scabbed the welded joints with flat 1/8 plate. Its stronger than the original frame was. Best thing was I did it with scrap I had laying around.

Some of the 4X4 stores sell that piece as a weld in.
I did like the above and made my own though.

IM cheap :D I think the prices on those pre-made frame repair sections are outrageous.

I did it myself and it SUCKED....I concidering scabn it using 1 of those kits. However I lucked up and found a frame w/ a damaged front and a was able to savage it's rear section. Cut both frames under door section. I then installed large square tubes section inside on both sides. I learned how to weld shorltly after that. Places 18" steel plates outside/inside of frame.. Then ran 8 bolts per side..I tied them into the step bars. Overachiever I know. I'll post some pics latr.

look at the pictures in my CJ8 rebuild.
frame was rusted in two. I did two peices of 1 1/2x1/4 thickness angle and put them on the inside so they were not visible.
let me know what you think.

I personally have never repaired a rusted frame, but my brother did on his Tacoma. He welded in 3/8" thick plate where he could, but he was affraid it would eventually rust out in places he couldn't access, so he took the whole body off and him and his buddies coated the whole thing with rhino liner! They go mud riding a lot and his friends did the same thing to their rides. They say it works great. I have thought about doing it myself, but I don't have the tools or experience. Anyway I doubt this helps you at all, but I figured I'd mention it.

I would consider replacing the frame due to the fact they are plentiful and cheap. Just my o2. If you consider this as an option, I can put you in contact with someone who has at least a dozen southern frames.:)

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks