Annual Demons

Annual Demons
007 - I know exactly what you mean about family and size. My first CJ a '80 CJ5 had to be sold when we had our first child. I simply couldn't have an open vehicle with a small child strapped in a child seat. I sold the CJ knowing that it would only be a few years before I got another ..... that child is now 25 years old and my 2nd CJ came along a couple years ago after a divorce. So, I really have no soap box to stand on.

You could always try this. Sell the Cj and put the money in the bank. Put the money you'd use for the down payment, monthly payment, and extra insurance in the bank as well. Then Spring next year take that money and get yourself a decent Scrambler. :)

I see what your saying... But I don't have the shop you have or the equipment you have or a wife out wrenching with me. Likewise you don't have 3 girls age 1.5 - 10 needing time as well, and those same kids won't all fit in a 7 on the trail anymore.

To be fair, mall crawlers are built Jeeps that never hit the trail so I can't possibly have that, but a slightly lifted Rubicon with some 33 MTs on steel wheels sounds fair enough to me.

No decision yet. Oddly enough the kids have cold feet about it. We shall see.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I understand and agree with you completely. You are lucky though, 3 kids who have cold feet about loosing the CJ? My 3 kids love the way our CJ looks, but have no interest in going out wheeling the way yours do. I loved seeing your clan pile into your CJ last year and head off on the trails!
I agree with mtnwhlr, but mine was a modded 65 Buick convertible that I miss driving very much. Your CJ is one sweet ride, and we would hate to not see you in it. Bottom line, what ever it is your driving, we still hope to continue wheeling with you! :chug:

I understand and agree with you completely. You are lucky though, 3 kids who have cold feet about loosing the CJ? My 3 kids love the way our CJ looks, but have no interest in going out wheeling the way yours do. I loved seeing your clan pile into your CJ last year and head off on the trails!
I agree with mtnwhlr, but mine was a modded 65 Buick convertible that I miss driving very much. Your CJ is one sweet ride, and we would hate to not see you in it. Bottom line, what ever it is your driving, we still hope to continue wheeling with you! :chug:

Well I truly appreciate that - and the feeling is mutual for sure... I may try to keep the CJ and still get the JKUR. I have an Excel spreadsheet where I'm putting in all the stuff I'd like to do to one and there's some room to wiggle there.

One other way I could go is to sell what I have, get what I need then get a frame and axles or rolling chassis for a CJ and just build one over the years so everything is "new" and rust-free and reliable. I'd like a 7 or 8 with a 304/360 and a TH400 like I have, but with a Dana 300 adapted in there.

I can certainly re-create what I have cosmetically. If I sell I'll keep my top and bikini as I have a spare set of blue seats in the garage.

I just need to keep shopping AND contemplating...

Just a side note, I sold my Charger and many years later I think it was one of the dumbest things I ever did and wished I would have just stashed it away.

I sold my 69 GTO after it was waiting for body work for 10 years. That was a couple of years ago. I regret it. And I will get another one when the timing is right.

Some of the complements I receive trail off into the person mumbling something about them wishing they never sold theirs.

Yes, they are a lot of work and money but so is about every other hobby you can imagine. Just go talk to anyone who is into boats, traveling, golf, hunting, fishing, biking, atvs, skeet shooting, hacks mall-crawling, etc..... They will all tell similar stories.

I just tripped across this thread and after giving it some thought came to this conclusion. I presently own/drive a 36 year old pile of $100 dollar bills. Every so often I go out and add several more $100 dollar bills to the stack. Why do I do this craziness? Simply because It makes me feel good. I, too, see the folks out in their much newer Jeep vehicles and start to wonder why I love to wheel in a small, cramped, uncomfortable, heap of rattles and squeaks with no air conditioning or a radio I couldn't hear even if it were in that hole in my dash.

My situation is different than Mike's. My family is down to just the wife and I and we both kinda fit in a CJ5 but we sometimes would like to take friends out with us and, let's face it - the back seat in a CJ5 is a joke. I recently broached the subject of upgrading to something much newer with some creature comforts but Carol let me know in no uncertain terms that she loves the CJ5 and is perfectly comfortable in it.

Guess I'll just go out and throw a few more $100 bills on the stack and keep on Jeeping. Besides, I'm past the point of no return. I have more invested than I could ever, ever hope to recover.

Bill D

Well Bill, if you find me laying in the backseat of your jeep one day next month in Colorado, think nothing of it. I'll just be waiting to catch a $100 bill if I happen to see one float by! Ha!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Well Bill, if you find me laying in the backseat of your jeep one day next month in Colorado, think nothing of it. I'll just be waiting to catch a $100 bill if I happen to see one float by! Ha!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It might be worth a $100 bill just to see you lay in the back seat of a CJ5. Besides, I have decided to take the back seat out this year and carry something worthwhile - like lunch. :chug:

Bill D

The worst 'demon' I have to face with my CJ, is the f:censored:'n SMOG test every 2 yrs in PRK. :mad:
LG

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks