AMC-20 axle seal replacement

AMC-20 axle seal replacement

Scout1067

Old Time Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1981 CJ7, 258, T176, D300, D30 front diff, AMC 20 rear diff, Weber Carburetor, BDS 2.5" lift
How much of a pain is it to do an axle seal replacement on the AMC20 rear axle? I noticed the other day that my D/S rear axle is leaking a little from the drum. It is too thick to be brake fluid so my guess is that axle seal let go. I had this same issue on my old truck (07 Nissan Frontier) and it was a bear to repair. The axle seal itself was like $10 but a hydraulic press was required to get the old one out and the new one in.

I tink mine has the two piece axles but am not sure how to tell the difference. I assume two piece since as far as I can tell the axle is OEM.

There's an inner seal just inside the end of the axle tube and an outer seal that's behind the bearing and requires the bearing to be removed. This is easiest done with a press, but can be done with grinder, long pipe, and hammer.

Personally, If I had 2 piece shafts and needed to replace bearings/seals, I would go ahead and upgrade to 1 piece shafts.

Personally, If I had 2 piece shafts and needed to replace bearings/seals, I would go ahead and upgrade to 1 piece shafts.

That may be what I end up doing. It goes on the list of things I have to get done to get this CJ back where it should be. I have inspection coming up in the spring and have to get the muffler replaced and a new gas tank put in before then. I will probably do the axles after inspection as the leak is what we called a class I leak in the military.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks