Misc. Air Cleaner Duct Transfer

Misc. Air Cleaner Duct Transfer
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
76' CJ-5 Levi Special
Seeking advise on my 76' CJ5. Since I live in the baking heat near Las Vegas & the Mohave Desert, I've elected to do the "outside air to air cleaner" approach. My recently acquired air cleaner intake rectangular opening is roughly 3 3/4" w x 2 1/2" h. I need to buy the corresponding rectangular "duct" coming off the grill to the air cleaner. Also, need the adapter to attach the other end to my inner grill area.

It seems my 76' is a few years too soon being the idea wasn't used until 78'? Please correct me if I am wrong. It also seems no one I've talked with knows much about this air duct transfer from grill to air cleaner. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I don’t know much about CJ5s, or models from 76 but this is mine on an 84 CJ7 now modified for fuel injection on a 258. Originally it was on a 4 cylinder on the right side but moved to the left. The ducting itself was purchased off amazon. F56DAA57-4B29-4848-8341-8697CCA91E41.jpegBC824D73-D758-4683-BCE5-995558C3ECC2.jpeg40E7E76A-0A3D-466C-9DE1-C782F892CDB0.jpeg953C763E-BF50-4B55-8D0A-C0529AE554C4.jpeg

• Thanks for the Post!
Reactions: CJ
You're right. They started that in '78. But no reason you can't install on an earlier model with the openings in the grill. The flexible duct piece is Crown part # J5357889 and can be had for about $30 from Quadratec. As for the attachment piece on the grill, used on eBay or find a buddy with a 3D printer. The design is available online. For an original metal part, check here: eBay link

• Thanks for the Post!
Reactions: CJ
Another quick add for reference. I found a pic of the setup showing the two parts on the grill where the hose attaches. You need parts 3 and 4 (the adaptor and the water deflector). GrabCAD and Thingiverse both have free file downloads to 3D print the adaptor (#4 in the pic). Haven't seen anything to make the deflector (part #3), nor I have found one of those anywhere, even used.

Air_Duct_Adaptor.jpg

I think 3 might be a myth. I bought mine new off the truck and it was not there and I have never seen or heard of it either.

Hmm, interesting. Where did you find that drawing?
I'm a retired old school sheet metal layout man and making either of these is rather simple for me although, upon refurbishing the engine bay I strive to be 100% stock in appearance. Then again, here's not much showing after the duct is hooked up right? Still, I'm a bit picky that way. I'm going the complete OEM route so I'll go ahead and purchase the metal adapter off Ebay for 53.00 bucks. The heat in my area would crack and/or warp those plastic ones in no time! I thank you for pointing out the metal adapter to me. I didn't know they were produced in metal. Nice to know!

TS, the link to the metal one is actually plastic. I didn’t know I have a $50 dollar item doing nothing under my hood! Mountain Therapy, you can have it. Just pay for shipping.

Attachments

• E1BC98C9-E829-4179-8357-4143D94FFF99.jpeg
    E1BC98C9-E829-4179-8357-4143D94FFF99.jpeg
    136.7 KB · Views: 7
Mountain, send me an address on private messaging to send it to. When you get it, donate to the site whatever amount you desire. Happy new year and welcome.

I didn’t know I have a $50 dollar item doing nothing under my hood! Mountain Therapy, you can have it. Just pay for shipping.
Hello Patrick,
And thank you for the very kind gesture.
Do you have a PayPal Friends & Family account where I can reimburse you? If not, happy to snail mail you the money ahead of your sending the item.
Happy New Year!
Tony

Don’t worry about reimbursing. I can have it shipped to you.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks