Air Cleaner Assembly

Air Cleaner Assembly

MC Hammerd

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'68 CJ5
I've got a '68 CJ5 with the V6 225. I'm trying to find an air filter assembly for the original Rochester 2J carburetor, on which the opening diameter is 3". The assembly that was on it only had a 2 1/2" opening. All the auto parts and racing part sites seem to all be for 5 1/4" and up. I'd like to find a basic air filter set up to use for now.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

I believe you can get an adapter for that carb opening size. We have an original oil bath air cleaner on our 67 CJ5 w/ v6 dauntless and Rochester 2gc. We have a Buick V6 231 oddfire in our 59 CJ5 resto mod, and it has the adapter to the common size you are looking for. I cannot remember the brand of adapter, maybe mr gasket. I think Summit carries them on their website. Also saw them on another classic jeep website like Kaiser Willys. This doesn't help you a whole lot (yet), except I know they are available.

Sent the easiest way with Tapatalk

Also found this quote in a discussion about the oil bath air cleaner you have:

"The air-cleaner housing from any Chev/Buick/Pontiac/Olds with a two barrel carb should fit. Probably some dodge and ford ones also."

Here's the description I found of it:

"the oil bath wets the surface of metal mesh, like a copper dish scrubby. When the air goes through the mesh, dust particles stick to the wetted mesh and get carried down into the oil bath eventually. Doesn't need a lot of oil - the air cleaner is supposed to have a line that you fill it to."

I am pretty sure that is for an Fhead 134.

Yeah, I'm still learning the older models. Mine is only a '79....

Check Summit Racing, mr gasket 6407, 2 5/8 to 5 1/8, or 6406, 3 to 5 1/8. I believe this is the adapter you originally asked about. If you are looking for an original oil bath air cleaner, well those are a lot harder to find. From what I have read, the paper element filters are much more efficient than the oil bath type. I hope this information helps.

Oh and welcome to the forum! We love pictures, so please let us see you classic CJ!

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks