Aftermarket stereo for stock '84 Dash

diddy2003

Old Time Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1984 CJ-7
35x12.5x15 MTRs;
YJ 4 inch Skyjacker lift w/ Bilsteins;
rebuilt AMC 360, Patriot Headers, Holley Truck Avenger 670 CFM, Edelbrock Performer Intake, Flexalite Electric Fan; Griffin Aluminum Radiator, Dual Flowmaster Delta Flow 40s;
Dana 30 4.10s w/ Detroit Truetrac;
Dana 60-2 Narrowed, 11 inch Ford Drum Brakes, 4.10s Power-Lok LSD; T-176; Dana 300 LoMax 4:1 Twin-Stick; Navajo Power Brake Booster
I know about spending that money, I try to limit my self to around 1700 watts to keep the cost down

1700 watts? Only 1700? Hahaha

200 watts out of the stereo would be fine for me. Its just for some tunes when in the woods.

Actually, I did have a jeep with 1700 watts, it was a kick
I do find though that a jeep needs more than the average radio because of the open nature of it, but a good front end radio/cd/MP3 player, and 2 small amps can easily make a great system for a jeep, Get a unit designed to look retro, get 2 amps, on to run a few speakers from under the dash and then put a 8 inch sub behind a seat and run your 200 watts and you will get great response. The reason that Jeep had 1700 watts was the system was designed to make a friend's Toyota with 1000 watts look ridiculous, and I had done a lot of work at a friends house who owned a stereo shop, so he owed me big time.
What he does for jeeps is a retro front end and a 50 watt amp for the speakers and 85 for the sub.
his problem with jeeps is the open nature, he says you need to get pods on the roll bar to make it sound good and then when you slow down they overpower you.

Though painful, I went ahead and cut mine out to accept a DIN head unit. I can't stomach the garbage that passes for radio stations around here making a USB port for the MP3 player a necessity.

So I finally picked up a radio and speakers for the Jeep. This is what I went with:
22bc6c0aa09e94892bdedaa0ac83e94a.jpg

RetroSoundUSA.com - zuma radio with 79-86 Amc Jeep Bezel and Music note knobs

And Marine speakers front and rear:
MR50B_MAIN.JPG

MR50B | Boss Audio Systems

MR690_MAIN.JPG

MR690 | Boss Audio Systems

The rears will be in these:
p36229c.jpg

Vertically Driven Products 53101 - VDP Sound Wedges without Speakers for 80-95 Jeep CJ5, CJ7 & Wrangler YJ - Quadratec

I hope it sounds good. Can't wait.

I also picked up some enclosures for the fronts.
XTC 5-1/4" Speaker Baffles (Slim-line: 2-1/2" depth) Protect your speakers at Crutchfield.com

That's the setup I've been pondering on too. Let me know how it sounds when you get it installed.

So here it is. Got it installed this past week. Sounds AWESOME. The retrosound actually puts out pretty decent power. The entire project took more time than expected. The dash was a HACK job. The holes that were there were mangled. The speakers are also really heavy duty. The 6x9s are huge. The speaker boxes needed to be altered a bit just so they would fit. I guess all 6x9s aren't all created equal. The sound out of the speakers is really good. I haven't driven the jeep around yet, but the driveway test was pretty good. The thing sounds great. I am happy. Much better than what I had before, haha. I also installed the CB at the same time.

-0340-48D1-AA24-2B1A641AA3D0-2368-000002CD68A8E2F2.jpg

-B7EA-4231-89E0-160ACEEF8950-2368-000002CD6F0CE1FF.png

-887C-4909-BB3D-9039819C8F11-2368-000002CD76547B4B.png

-5491-44D1-9D38-105873E2AF45-2368-000002CD7BF44B59.png

And can I assume theres a usb jack that I could pop a thumb drive in or at least a usb extension chord (which I also assume they make).

The listing says there is a rear mounted USB. I love the look. Once all the other stuff is where I want it on mine, this would be a great upgrade...

Expandability:

* Inputs: Rear mounted standard USB port and 2 rear auxiliary inputs
* Outputs: 4-channel preamp outputs (front, rear)
* Separate power antenna & amp turn on lead(s)

I put the Retrosound in my 73 for one reason - the look. It has a front 3.5mm input, and doesnt sound hald bad either... The speakers were a little more of a challange since the 1973 doesnt have any dash grills. The solution was a 4 x 6 Polk plate speakers mounted in extended 4x4 plastic electrical boxes. Not pretty, but it works.

Attachments

• jeep radio 004.jpg
    jeep radio 004.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 1,058
  • jeep radio 007.jpg
    jeep radio 007.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 787
  • jeep radio 013.jpg
    jeep radio 013.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 506
And can I assume theres a usb jack that I could pop a thumb drive in or at least a usb extension chord (which I also assume they make).

You can see the USB cord resting on top of the CB radio. It accepts a USB flash drive and I can even use it to charge my phone. There are audio inputs in the back of the radio I am using for the Ipod.

hey what size are those dash speakers?? 5 1/4"? also did you cut out the dash grills? how was the fit....your set up looks nice.

hey what size are those dash speakers?? 5 1/4"? also did you cut out the dash grills? how was the fit....your set up looks nice.

They are 5 1/4 and the dash is cut. The PO had already cut it, and poorly, long before I bought it. I had to fix the cut outs because they were terribly hacked. The speakers have rear enclosures, so they sound pretty good. Thanks for the compliment. :chug: Its great to finally have a radio after owning the Jeep for two years.

Its great to finally have a radio after owning the Jeep for two years.

That's it? I've owned mine nearly 7 and still haven't installed my detachable face plate system my wife got for me one year for Xmas a few back.

I have to say though, I like the OEM look. Nice an clean. I was wondering what I would do with my install. Kind of worried about rain dripping down off the windshield taking out the expensive unit.

I was thinking of selling the unit I have now and getting a marine grade unit. I was also thinking of removing my over head console and installing the center console for the CB then putting speakers around the footmen loop like this. Select Increments 53179S - Select Increments Sky-Pod with Speakers for 55-06 Jeep® CJ-5, CJ-7, CJ-8 Scrambler & Wrangler YJ, TJ, Unlimited - Quadratec

Then I was thinking of adding speakers like this. Select Increments 91970S - Select Increments Centra-Pod with Speakers for 76-95 Jeep® CJ-5, CJ-7, CJ-8 Scrambler & Wrangler YJ - Quadratec

Still up in the air though. I mean, it's been 7 years, what is a few more months. lol

one more question, does your drivers door hit the speaker? I was looking at mine and it looks like the grill would contact the door panel...have hard 1/2 doors

one more question, does your drivers door hit the speaker? I was looking at mine and it looks like the grill would contact the door panel...have hard 1/2 doors

Sorry man, I can't answer that. I just run my soft top with soft doors. I do have half hard doors, but they don't have the plastic interior piece. Its just bare metal on the inside. I liked the look better, so I have no way of checking for you.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks