Aftermarket CJ5 fenders not fitting up to grill

Aftermarket CJ5 fenders not fitting up to grill

Indychase

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1976 CJ5 350
Picked up a set of after market fenders for my CJ5. Was just going to us the old set but were butchered and tore up. When I went to go set the right fender on, I put 2 bolts on first 2 hole on the body side and 1 bolt on the grill side just to hold it up. Fender was sitting flush to the grill, but I noticed a 1 inch gap on bottom of the fender where the body meets the fender... Decided to unbolt the fender from the grill and bolt up all four holes making it flush to the body... Now I have a 3/4' gap from fender to grill...almost like my grill needs to come down so that they meet or my tub needs to come up a bit. Any one have this problem? Its hard to explain will provide pictures tomorrow afternoon.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I have had issues with the aftermarket fenders also. The first set I got worked poorly and the second set that I got from Four Wheel Parts Wholesalers work a little better. I did have to drill some holes and add some rivets where some spot welds pulled apart and do some metal bending. They were cheaper than a set of junkyard fenders, but I just bang them up anyway.

Picked up a set of after market fenders for my CJ5. Was just going to us the old set but were butchered and tore up. When I went to go set the right fender on, I put 2 bolts on first 2 hole on the body side and 1 bolt on the grill side just to hold it up. Fender was sitting flush to the grill, but I noticed a 1 inch gap on bottom of the fender where the body meets the fender... Decided to unbolt the fender from the grill and bolt up all four holes making it flush to the body... Now I have a 3/4' gap from fender to grill...almost like my grill needs to come down so that they meet or my tub needs to come up a bit. Any one have this problem? Its hard to explain will provide pictures tomorrow afternoon.

I had that exact problem...... but only on the passenger side. Mine were fiberglass, everything fit well except for the gap at the bottom of the tub / fender joint. Since everything fit right prior to swapping the fenders, I figured the problem was with the fender. I mulled options over, and settled on cutting and splicing the fender.

If you can get your browser to show photobucket pics, then you can see what I did here, starting at post 237.

https://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f98/80-frankenjeep-frame-off-reassembly-22637/index24.html

I haven't been able to get my thread pic links all fixed ye..... still working on it. I can send you the pics if it would help. But, that's only if you have fiberglass fenders -

Last edited:
I've had the same problem with O/E fenders. My problem was the tub settling because of rust problems. I think the old fenders fit because they were deformed when settling took place.

I had to replace a fender about 28 years ago with an after market one. Steel. The grill / fender was a little off and there is a small gap but was usable

I've had the same problem with O/E fenders. My problem was the tub settling because of rust problems. I think the old fenders fit because they were deformed when settling took place.
Im thinking this is my problem, noticed my jeep as a very slight forward lean. Gonna build the body mounts but in the front and see what happenes. Just worried about the hood alignment if i do that. We will see

I had that exact problem...... but only on the passenger side. Mine were fiberglass, everything fit well except for the gap at the bottom of the tub / fender joint. Since everything fit right prior to swapping the fenders, I figured the problem was with the fender. I mulled options over, and settled on cutting and splicing the fender.

If you can get your browser to show photobucket pics, then you can see what I did here, starting at post 237.

https://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f98/80-frankenjeep-frame-off-reassembly-22637/index24.html

I haven't been able to get my thread pic links all fixed ye..... still working on it. I can send you the pics if it would help. But, that's only if you have fiberglass fenders -
Awesome jeep!!! And that looks just like the problem I'm dealing with. Thanks!

Thanks!! I know mine was a fender problem as the replacement frame had zero rust issues, added new body mounts and a new grille mount. Everything lined up perfectly but the right side fender. Once everything was painted, it went together just like it should...... up until that moment I always wondered if I had butchered a perfectly good fender due to a stupid mistake during mock up. Luckily it worked out. Let us know what you wind up doing to fix it.

R

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks