Advice on lowering CJ7

Advice on lowering CJ7

NFD EN21

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
‘80 CJ7,350,400 turbo,Dana 300,D44,D44
Need some opinions, I’ve got an 1980 CJ7, spring over ,lifted,on 37s. I’m going to but it back to more street friendly, spring under, with a 4in lift and 33s. My question is what order should I do it in. I know I’ve got to have the spring perches moved. Do I need to have the lift kit ready to mount when I have them moved?

Need some opinions, I’ve got an 1980 CJ7, spring over ,lifted,on 37s. I’m going to but it back to more street friendly, spring under, with a 4in lift and 33s. My question is what order should I do it in. I know I’ve got to have the spring perches moved. Do I need to have the lift kit ready to mount when I have them moved?
I suspect you will need the lift installed before moving the perches. You need VERY accurate measurements to get the caster angle and driveline angles correct.
All mine are stock height with 31” tires. VERY nice on the street / highway and plenty of clearance / traction offroad. Save yourself time money & work. Leave it stock with 31s.
The last time I was stuck was in the late 70’s with skinny factory tires in mud. Pretty funny... the guy that rescued me had to winch himself into where I got stuck then winch himself back out!

That’s what I was thinking. Also doing an engine swap, Q4 6.0 replacing a 350. Figure I’ll need that done first before the lift to get the angles also.

When you set the front and rear pinion angles. Make sure the springs are under the jeeps weight, and remember the springs are going to 'settle'(flatten out)some.
LG

I would have the lift kit ready to put in. The perches need to be tacked on, then text fit with the new springs in SUA configuration, then the perches may need to be adjusted to get the caster /pinion angles correct.

What gears and axles do you have with the 37s? If it's been properly regeared for the tires, it may end up being too low with the 33s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would have the lift kit ready to put in. The perches need to be tacked on, then text fit with the new springs in SUA configuration, then the perches may need to be adjusted to get the caster /pinion angles correct.

What gears and axles do you have with the 37s? If it's been properly regeared for the tires, it may end up being too low with the 33s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In the real world, they don’t even need to be tacked. As Lumpy pointed out, the suspension needs to be loaded for accurate measurements. The U bolts will hold everything in place well enough to measure, adjust & measure again. Then simply mark them or tack them in place. Take it apart, do the final welding & painting, then reassemble.

It’s got Dana 44 front and rear. It’s gonna have to be revealed, I’m putting a 6.0 in it and using it for mostly street.

It’s got Dana 44 front and rear. It’s gonna have to be revealed, I’m putting a 6.0 in it and using it for mostly street.

If it’s intended primarily for street use, why is it lifted at all?

If it’s intended primarily for street use, why is it lifted at all?

Way easier, to get in and out of the mall parking lots. :laugh: :poke:
LG

The PO had it lifted and 37s for off roading. I’m redoing it and I like the look of the 4in with 33s.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks