A Scrambler rambled home

A Scrambler rambled home
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
Restoration in process:
4.0L I6, Aw4 tranny, D300 transfer case, Dana 44 rear axle, Dana 30 front axle, 4.09 gears;
Original color black with (soon to be) '86 blue decals (3 shades).
Using tub from an '89 Wrangler
I might have a problem. I was watching an '82 Scrambler on ebay, located in Alabama. It didn't sell so I contacted the seller, took a look at it and bought it today- for my dad. He doesn't know yet what I've inflicted on him and he won't see the Jeep until September. It's got a lot of bondo and has had some frame repairs. He'll be cussing me.

I just kept seeing her potential. The thing is so cool- even if she's half bondo and primered gray and the driver's door swings open when turning. I've been driving it and she runs and drives great. The engine is very strong. I'm calling her the 'Copper Ghost'.

Here's the details:
1982 CJ8, 4.2L, automatic, hardtop and steel doors, wheels from a '76 CJ?, 182k miles.
Can anyone tell me if the wheels are factory ones, and if so, what years were they offered on CJs?

Attachments

• on her way home.jpg
    on her way home.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 483
  • IMG_1845.jpg
    IMG_1845.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 355
  • IMG_1846.jpg
    IMG_1846.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 236
  • IMG_1848.jpg
    IMG_1848.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 294
  • IMG_1842.jpg
    IMG_1842.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 582
Great avatar and even greater quote. ;) That Scrambler definately looks worth saving. Sent you a pm.
I might have a problem. I was watching an '82 Scrambler on ebay, located in Alabama. It didn't sell so I contacted the seller, took a look at it and bought it today- for my dad. He doesn't know yet what I've inflicted on him and he won't see the Jeep until September. It's got a lot of bondo and has had some frame repairs. He'll be cussing me.

I just kept seeing her potential. The thing is so cool- even if she's half bondo and primered gray and the driver's door swings open when turning. I've been driving it and she runs and drives great. The engine is very strong. I'm calling her the 'Copper Ghost'.

Here's the details:
1982 CJ8, 4.2L, automatic, hardtop and steel doors, wheels from a '76 CJ?, 182k miles.
Can anyone tell me if the wheels are factory ones, and if so, what years were they offered on CJs?

CONGRATS!!

Awesome find....

Thanks everybody, and thanks for the tip Pete.

The Scrambler will be fun to work on or drive as is for awhile. It's up to my dad, but I'll tinker with it til he gets it in September. I know he'll want power steering so I might try to add that on first.

It's a disease I think: No matter how bad a CJ is all we can see is it's potential :chug: Nice find - bondo never hurt anyone :D

Hard to say if the wheels are original Jeep wheels. That 'slot mag' style came on some Jeeps from 71 to 76 as far as I can see. But it was also a common aftermarket wheel style for many years.

Filled the Scrambler's fuel tank up yesterday and I noticed today that it had a considerable leak underneath the driver's side coming from the return line (1/4" line). I found the leak, cut the line and made a temporary splice/overlay with some rubber fuel line and four hose clamps. Then I found another leak further upstream! No wonder she only had a few gallons of gas in the tank when I got 'er.

Both fuel lines are pretty rusted. Any suggestions for makers/sellers of some good SS fuel lines for a Scrambler? I found a company called Inline Tube with comparable prices to Morris 4x4. Any other manufacturers/sellers come to mind? Thanks.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks