Clutch 99% done. (Have some little issues I can't find)

Clutch 99% done. (Have some little issues I can't find)

mickey85

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
83 CJ7, 258, T5, Dana 300, Dana 30 front axle, AMC 20 rear, Trac-Lock LSD
Hey all! So this Jeep resto is 99.9% done and drivable. It lot drives, and I've had it to 3rd gear in the front yard. Biggest things now are to put the doors back together and to put the rear bumpers on. Pardon the mess in the shop. This has been a 3 year long thrash. I tagged it as "clutch," as that's my most pressing matter right now.

Now, I'm doing the niggling stuff.

1. The clutch has the original linkage (I replaced the bell crank and linkages, but had to use the original clutch rod (between the pedal and bell crank), as the new one wasn't bent enough. I threaded it out far enough that the clutch pedal is all the way up, and there isn't any slop in the whole linkage (i.e. the whole mechanism is tight against the clutch pressure). To my recollection (Dad redid the mechanicals before he died), it has a new clutch.

Regardless, the issue is that it only engages the clutch when it's far out (like, the pedal is 80% disengaged). Is this a slop issue? What is the proper adjustment for this whole deal? I saw a video (dude had retrofitted a v8), where there was a clutch return spring. I don't have that, but where on earth does that go? I'd assume from the fork (obviously), but where does it mount on the chassis?

2. The 4x4 light in the speedometer is illuminated, regardless of the position of the transfer case. I have the speedo grounded (from a dedicated ground to one of the screws that holds in the speedo mech). The fuel/temp gauges finally work after replacing them twice. Any ideas? I understand that if the light is unplugged on the TC that it wouldn't illuminate - I'm not sure where the power is coming from.

3. The heater blower motor doesn't blow. I think I have it wired correctly, but I'm not sure what the actual wire is that should lead to it. I know the blower works, as I've bench tested it.

4. Can anyone take pics of the fender support rods? I don't know how they're supposed to mount between the fenders and the firewall.

Thanks guys.20210501_112638.jpg

And, doing a little more research, I find that there is a spring that goes between the fork and the bellhousing, and between the pedal and the pedal mount under the dash. Outstanding. I hate doing stuff above the steering column. So, I nabbed a couple fairly stiff springs, and I'll see if I can't get it adjusted to engage somewhere in the middle. The other wiring questions and such remain though...

As for your 4x4 light, you likely miswired it. It has constant power but needs a switched ground to complete the circuit and light up. That ground can only come from the switch and the lead wire at the transfer case. If you disconnect the wire at the transfer case switch and the light continues to light up, then it’s miswired. Good luck.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom