Steering !972 CJ5 steering assembly question

Steering !972 CJ5 steering assembly question

FFEH

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1973 cj 5 304 t-15 3 speed transmission
I have a 1973 CJ5 304 T-15 Jeep with power steering. I am new to Jeeps. I am trying to put the steering shaft column back together. I bought the jeep and didn’t notice that the steering wheel was welded to the shaft. I have bought an upper shaft for a 1973 CJ. I just realized that it has the upper bearing and am looking for the lower bearing for the column/shaft. My question looking at the pictures provided I have a lower shaft that hits the hat bracket for the shock absorber. The knuckle that connected the lower and upper shafts is stripped and was hitting a header pipe. So I think I need to buy a steering knuckle that will connect upper and lower steering shafts and the lower bearing on the column? Can anyone tell me if I missing something I am not aware of? I did read a post that mentioned the body bushings could change the angle of the steering shaft. I am not there yet. I am just trying to figure out what I am missing to reconstruct it and end up with a stock steering wheel with horn button. Thanks for any help.
Upper steering saft steeering wheel end.JPGupper shaft bottom end.JPGTop of column with bearing.JPGSteering column.JPGLower steering shaft.JPGLower steering column.JPGLower Shaft steering box end.JPG

There are several ways to fix this and all are readily available. The best way is to get a Flaming River or Borgeson lower shaft and either rebuild the upper column (replace bearings and do what you have done by getting a new shaft) or swap in a GM tilt column.

Do you have power steering?

-->> New lower heavy duty shafts and bearing kits. -->> https://www.morris4x4center.com/replacement-parts/suspension/steering/steering-shafts-components.htm

-->> There are many ways of doing the column swap if you choose to do so.

-->> What tools / welders / cutters do you have?

Thanks for your reply. I can't weld but know someone that will and can. I have cutters. What is your thought on the coupler? Should I go with the stock bulky one or one with a smaller profile. There is a problem with the coupler hitting one of the headers. I have read the easiest way to fix that is to heat the header pipe and tap it with a ball peen hammer to indent the pipe. I am not sure what the bearing looks like in the lower end of the column. It appears that there is a sleeve in the lower part of the column. It looks like brass but I am unsure. In the picture with the column you can see it just sticking out. I have power steering.

Can you take a pic o your current setup? Top and bottom? Heades? 8 or 6?
Wiil do lower steering shaft and upper? Do you want the upper shaft in the column? Everything is out of the jeep I can lay it out for you if that is what you need?

This is what I have. i think your questions was V8 or 6 cylinder. Its a V8. If you need another picture let me know. thanks for any help.

There are several ways to fix this and all are readily available. The best way is to get a Flaming River or Borgeson lower shaft and either rebuild the upper column (replace bearings and do what you have done by getting a new shaft) or swap in a GM tilt column.

Do you have power steering?

-->> New lower heavy duty shafts and bearing kits. -->> https://www.morris4x4center.com/replacement-parts/suspension/steering/steering-shafts-components.htm

-->> There are many ways of doing the column swap if you choose to do so.

-->> What tools / welders / cutters do you have?
Thanks for your reply. I can't weld but know someone that will and can. I have cutters. What is your thought on the coupler? Should I go with the stock bulky one or one with a smaller profile. There is a problem with the coupler hitting one of the headers. I have read the easiest way to fix that is to heat the header pipe and tap it with a ball peen hammer to indent the pipe. I am not sure what the bearing looks like in the lower end of the column. It appears that there is a sleeve in the lower part of the column. It looks like brass but I am unsure. In the picture with the column you can see it just sticking out. I have power steering.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks