86 CJ 4sp reverse lockout issue

86 CJ 4sp reverse lockout issue

qbej46

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
86 CJ7 258CI 4 speed
My 4 speed manual transmission reverse lockout down not work. If you are not VERY VERY careful shifting into 4th, you wind up grinding the reverse gears. Also first is geared very low it seems to me.

shift pattern is

1 - 3
2 - 4 - R

Any thoughts?

I read on another site that this issue can be corrected without removing the transmission???? However the person who posted that is no longer active.

(I had another CJ7 20 years ago and it had a 5 speed and it was a far better)

Last edited:
Do you know which transmission you have?

If stock, it could either be a T176 (straight shifter), or T4 (curved shifter).

The T4 is the same as your CJ7 5 speed, but without 5th gear (assuming it had a T5) and has a first gear of ~4:1.

The T176 is a stronger transmission, but has a 1st gear of either ~3.5:1 or ~3.7:1. It's a top loaded transmission, and I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't have a reverse lockout (assuming you mean a block to prevent a 3 to R shift). Those are typically on 5 speeds to prevent a 5 to R shift when trying to downshift to 4th. Even my '03 Ranger 5 speed would shift from 3 to R.

crawled under today and tried to take a picture of the side of the transmission

got most of it

It says clearly BorgWarner and some of the numbers are
xxx3-01-065xxx

Does this help?

crawled under today and tried to take a picture of the side of the transmission

got most of it

It says clearly BorgWarner and some of the numbers are
xxx3-01-065xxx

Does this help?

Does it look like this:

t4_t5_transmission.jpg

If so, it's a T4 and is the same transmission as the T5 but without a 5th gear. I don't know if it's supposed to have a 3rd to R lockout or not.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks