Engine 84 CJ7 issue finding correct fuel pump.

Engine 84 CJ7 issue finding correct fuel pump.

J.Clark

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1984 CJ7, 4.2 I6
Hey everyone, first time posting here. I have a 84 CJ7 with the 4.2 I6, previous owner installed the Mopar fuel injection kit that is basically just a 1994 wrangler system(at least that is what the manual says). Both the previous owner and I have had issues with the engine randomly cutting out, for me it only happened when the engine would be fully warmed up, and usually a pretty hot day. If I remember correctly the previous owner would drive somewhere, park, and when he would come back out the Jeep would not start(he would have to wait about an hour and then it would start, he thought it was vapor lock). In my experience with this Jeep that has never happened. The only issues I have had is that I will come to a stop, and when I start accelerating again the engine will fall on its face, sometimes stall, but would always restart and when I give it enough throttle it would smooth out, and I can continue on my way.

So moving on, I started diagnosing the issue, my first thought was a fueling issue, so I hooked a gauge up and drove around with it taped to the windshield. (mind you I don't drive the thing much, couple hundred miles a year probably). The first 5-6 times I drove it it never acted up(of course). The last time I drove it, I was sitting in a drive through or something, and I watched the fuel pressure drop from about 60 psi, slowly down to about 20 psi. If I gave it gas the pressure would come back up, but then fall again. I have always been a little suspect of the fuel pump, it sounded kind of odd to me. So I ordered a replacement pump, specifically the HESHFP90, I found this pump doing some searching with google, and it led me to a forum(might have been this one I wasn't really paying attention to what website it was, but the guy who recommended it seemed pretty knowledgeable about this sort of thing.) I cant remember if I saw the specs in the manual or if it is from the forum that I am thinking of, but this system is supposed to run at 31-40 psi. I installed the new pump tonight, and a new fuel pressure regulator, I kind of thought this could also be the issue seeing as revving the engine would bring fuel pressure up. With the gauge still installed, it is a 100 psi gauge, and it pegged the thing. When I would rev it the pressure would drop off the peg, but still would be over 100psi. I looked back to see if i got the right pump sent to me, and its definitely the one i was supposed to get. the website I bought it off of even lists it as the replacement pump for this kit, ill try to add the link if I can.

https://hesco.us/products/21873/jee...0/hi-pressure-fuel-pump-heshfp90#.X1GCOnlKguV

I let the engine run just to see what would happen, after about 20 seconds the fuel pressure started dropping, all the way to 10 psi and the engine would stall, I can restart it and it will peg the gauge again, and then pressure drops. This would not happen with the old pump at all, it would stay at a constant 50-60 psi, which I realize is too high still, but closer than this! The only thing I have changed in the system is the fuel pump, and I added an inline check valve. (previous pump had check valve built into outlet). I also replaced all of the rubber hoses that I touched.

Might be worth adding when the pressure drops I can hear the pump whining like it is being starved of fuel.

Does anyone have experience with this? Thanks for any info!

Welcome. :welcome:

You are very thorough, you have tested just about everything but what I believe may be your problem.

Your Jeep is starving for fuel. The whiring in the fuel pump gives me an idea. Have you checked the fuel pickup sock in the tank? It sounds like is is disintegrating of just clogged.

You might be having a fuel pickup problem.

I guess I should have mentioned that I pulled the tank and it doesn't seem like that is the issue, regardless the sending unit has been bad for awhile so I ordered a new unit, should come with a new pickup and all that. The one thing that just doesn't make sense is I never had this specific issue with the old pump. I guess my main concern is that I am getting over 100 psi when I first start it, it makes me think I either have the wrong pump now, had the wrong one earlier, or something else is going on with the fuel system.

I had a similar problem with my 1980 CJ5. Mine still has a carb though and NOT fuel injected.
I finally replaced the fuel line and problem solved. Those 40+ year old fuel lines develop leaks and are prone for blockage.

Run a 3/8" fuel line from tank to manifold.
Sounds like a fuel volume issue.
Replace fuel filter.
Gary

I will check all of these things, I am thinking it is some sort of restriction as well, but I just want to be sure about the pump. I know hesco lists this as the replacement for the system, does anyone have experience actually using this pump? I didn't have this issue at all before, and the only thing I have changed in the system is the pump. Thinking back to when I had the old pump in there, the pressure wasn't right then either, but I guess it was good enough for it to run ok, it had 50-60 psi all the time, until it would shut off anyway. The system is supposed to run 31 psi at idle and run up to 40 psi based on need. I just want to be sure I actually have the correct pump, because I think if I have one that outputs too much fuel I think it could overwhelm the regulator, and that could be why I have 100+ psi at idle.

I have a 83 CJ5 I put JFI system had issues with the pump could not suck the volume from tank to engine moved the pump close to tank fixed the issue for me..

Hey all, figured out the fuel return from the rail was clogged up. I ran a new line and now the pressures are pretty much perfect! Driving it throughout this week with the gauge still hooked up to monitor. I'll let you all know if anything else comes up.

Side note: dang this pump is noisy!

Thanks for all your help.

Adding to an old thread but... a bad speed sensor on the transfer case end of the speedo cable will cause stalling at idle too.

83 CJ7 w/258i and Mopar MPI kit.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom