Electrical 84' CJ7 CRANKS BUT WON'T START

Electrical 84' CJ7 CRANKS BUT WON'T START

Casey j

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1984 Cj-7 Renegade 4.2 L.

I'm having an issue with my 84 CJ7 not starting. Jeep will crank over but will not fire. The other day when I shut it off the piece in my steering column that connects to the bar / ignition broke and now I have no fire from distributor. I started at coil tested red and green wire which both have power. Solenoid has power and ignition control module has power at red and white wire and at white wire. Also I checked purple and orange wire on bottom of distributor and it is reading 425 ohm.​

Quote Multiple Post's

let's rule out fuel and timing. run a jumper wire from the battery to the hot side of the coil. then start it. if it starts and runs then u can rule out mechanical. more than likely when you broke the rod you discounted or broke a wire that feeds 12 volts during cranking to the coil wire

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

I did run a wire from the battery to the coil and still didn't start. All the wires that run up the steering column I tested by connecting power to all wires and checking other end at bottom of column and all good. I have power everywhere except coming out of the distributor. There's power going in the distributor but not out

in that case sounds to me like u have a bad coil or a bad pick up in the distributor. what distributor are u running

It's the stock distributor. I was thinking it was the pickup in the distributor also, because the power is not flowing through distributor. Correct?

the stock distributor is trash. id recommend just replacing it either with a GM HEI or doing a Mallory conversion

Solution
I believe the key here is the is in the 1st post. The rod that connects the key to the swich in the steering column is broken and or missing. At what position did it break and at what position did the switch get left in? There are 4 positions for the switch, "Accessory, Off, Run and Start."
Is the switch in the Run position?
You should adjust the switch to Run and then jump the selenoid S terminal to start or manually manipulate the switch (it is spring loaded). To turn off you need to put the switch in Off.

You can get the rod for any GM 80's column.

84cj7ignswitch.jpg

correct. however it was also mentioned that it would not run even with a jumper wire going straight from the battery to the coil this would allow the engine to run regardless of the key position assuming it still has a mechanical fuel pump.

on that note do you have gas in it? dont go by the gauge they are only a guess at best

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks