82 Scrambler Rear Axle Assembly Needed

82 Scrambler Rear Axle Assembly Needed

Scrambler jim

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
82 CJ8
Looks like I have a bent AMC20 rear axle on my CJ8. Does anyone know of someone who sells a complete rebuilt rear axle? Or a source for a good rebuildable core? I’m new to jeeps so any advice appreciated! Working out all the gremlins from the previous owner.
Jim

Axle housings can be straightened with hydraulic force or by selective heating of the tubes with a torch (look up flame straightening). If the axle is in otherwise good condition, it might be worth it to look into this. If its in poor condition in addition to being bent, you have a couple of options. the easiest probably is to watch craigslist for someone selling another wide track AMC20 which will swap right in. Might get lucky and find a Dana 44 from an 86 model CJ7 which will also swap right in. Another option is to have someone (Curry, ECGS, etc.) build you one, like this one from ECGS https://eastcoastgearsupply.com/i-23173905-dana-44-cj-rear-bolt-in-axle-assembly-30-spline.html which would run you about 2800$ with Detroit locker or about 2300$ with open diff. You also might find a local hotrod shop that could narrow a wrecking yard 9" from an older ford pickup for a reasonable cost. The 9" from an F150 will have the same 5x5.5 bolt pattern as the CJ.

There are some online articles about hydraulic straightening of axle housings. It basically involves setting the axle on top of a large I-beam on top of jackstands, chaining the ends of the housing down securely, and placing a bottle jack under the 'low' spot on the housing and applying pressure until the tubes are straight.

Google is not doing me any favors right now but there are company’s that will pull the old tubes out and install new ones that are thicker than the originals

Sent from my couch using Tapatalk

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks