82 jeep scrambler dash lights help

82 jeep scrambler dash lights help

Lopaka55

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1982 jeep scrambler
Hey all. Got an 82 scrambler rebuilding from the ground up. Bought a painless wiring harness pre-terminated got everything working except for dash lights and speedo illumination lights. Called painless support and they didn’t seem to be much help. I’ve got all my grounds hooked up and showing good ground. I’ve ground the dash with extra grounding strap as well. They seems to maybe think it was my headlight switch causing the problem got a brand new one and still no go. Any help/ideas would be very much appreciated!

Are you using LED lights in the dash? If so turn them around LEDs only work in one direction where as the old lights worked no matter what.

If you're still using old style bulbs I'm not sure could be a bad fuse

Sent from my E7110 using Tapatalk

How far back are you feeding +12v before the dash lights do not work?
How does the harness check against the TSM?
You have some good equipment (Power Probe) so it sounds like you have a good grasp of low voltage wiring.

Probably a long shot, but you might try turning the bezel of the headlight switch all the way to the right...has a rheostat dimmer in it that will take them down to off as it's turned to the left

had the same prob on my 81 CJ5. I changed switch out and still no fix. changed out hi lo switch on floor bingo it all worked. Thats with a new painless harness.

That’s the weird part I’ve got no voltage at all for the orange wires that control any illumination. I’ve got it coming into the switch on the 3 red wires just nothing going back out to the orange and it’s brand new switch unless there’s something wrong with it from the factory? Possibly? Yeah I’ve turned the switch both ways and nothing there either unfortunately. Also have a brand new floor switch so seems like that wouldn’t be the problem on mine either. Thank you all for suggestions though

Do you have an inline fuse that goes from light switch to dash lights. I have one on mine, I blew it once while hooking up a gas gauge. Took me awhile to figure it out

That’s the weird part I’ve got no voltage at all for the orange wires that control any illumination. I’ve got it coming into the switch on the 3 red wires just nothing going back out to the orange and it’s brand new switch unless there’s something wrong with it from the factory? Possibly? Yeah I’ve turned the switch both ways and nothing there either unfortunately. Also have a brand new floor switch so seems like that wouldn’t be the problem on mine either. Thank you all for suggestions though
If you back feed +12v to the orange (#11) wire with the Power Probe do the dash lights illuminate?
Using your meter on ohms with no wires connected to the H/L switch, what resistance do you have from tab / connection 11C and 9B as you rotate the dimmer from off to full on. Check 11C and 9B to H/L switch metal body also. Does the resistance change?

il1.JPG

The confusing part off the instrument illumination is how the rheostat works to ground. See the red arrow below.

il2.JPG

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks