Misc. 82 Cj-7 Jeep advice

Misc. 82 Cj-7 Jeep advice

fieldofdreams

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1982 Cj-7
Ok guys, need some advice on first Jeep project. Recently purchased an 82 CJ7 with the i6. Its a project for sure but body is in good shape with very little rust and it unknown at this point about the transmission but motor seems to be ok. I really want this thing fixed up to the point where it’s a dependable vehicle. Question so far is this: If the motor turns out to be iffy should I rebuild it, replace it with a new motor and if I do that should I keep the same motor in it? Also, would most recommend to make it fuel injected? Any advice at this point is appreciated. I am currently in the motor phase of the project, next step is the tranny.

opinions are going to vary wildly on this. mostly depends on what you want to do with it what ur budget is and mechanical skills.

me if I had the money and time i would do an LS swap with a 5/6 speed manual and Atlas 2 transfer case and beefy Dana 44's and 4 wheel disc brakes.

but im cheap so its mostly stock

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

I’m not trying to be cheap on this one but don’t want to throw money into an option that’s not worth it or hurts the value of the Jeep. I appreciate your response! Thank you

I’m not trying to be cheap on this one but don’t want to throw money into an option that’s not worth it or hurts the value of the Jeep. I appreciate your response! Thank you
yw. mechanically speaking if its done right there's really no wrong answer and in the end wont hurt the value. alot also depends on ur states rules on swapping engines and emissions

budget wise i would find a decent 5.3 vortec (typically found in silverado tahoe avalanche etc) snag the whole motor and wiring harness and really everything related then pair down to the bare minimum to run the engine and cooling. back it up to ur desired trans and tcase.

or for about 1200 get a fuel injection kit for your current setup. i may go this route myself in the short time

How do you plan on using it? Rock crawling or picking up eggs at the market? I ask because many build their rig around the end use plan. Budget and local emissions regulations factor in as well. I'm running the original 4.2 with 4.0 head and MPI and have not ran into a situation yet were I needed a V8. If you like to play in mud/sand regularly though, a V8 might have some use there. The only thing holding my Jeep back is stock gearing ( 2:73's) but that will get remedied in the next year

Decide on your mechanical ability, budget, and intended usage. I went with a 5.3 and love it.

I want this to be a reliable vehicle that if I choose to drive it in to work 90 miles every once in a while I don’t have to worry about it breaking down on me. I plan on if having a slight lift and running 35s on it. Definitely not building it for rock crawling. As far as budget goes. I’m planning on spending around 5 or 6k on it. As of now it seems like the motor is actually in pretty good shape. Next step is to check out the transmission once I get it running.

I plan on having a slight lift and running 35s on it.
In order to run 35s your going to need more than a slight lift. At least 4" of lift will be needed, which will affect handling and driveline angles.

35's will require more $$ spent on the driveline upgrades, if not upfront, down the road probably not too far. A fair part of your stated budget will go just to the axles/differentials. A slight lift (2 1/2") and you should be able to run 32's with no rubbing, for reference. 82's have 3 choices for transmissions, and 2 of them are pretty weak in bone stock form. Do you know what trans you have? If 5 spd, its one of the weaker ones. Big tires put a lot more stress on the trans, especially if you do not upgrade the gearing

with that budget id stick with stock engine for now and just run efi

What Manic said; just add some type efi set up. Going LS brings alot of extra work and cost.

everything has to kept in balance bigger engine means trany that can then new driveshafts once all that is done unless you don't use the skinny pedal beefy axles

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks