80 cj stereo no sound from new speakers and wires please help

80 cj stereo no sound from new speakers and wires please help

Cj jeep 80

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1980 Cj7, 304, 4 speed manual transmission
Well I decided I wanted a radio in the old jeep. Most of the wiring was messed up and abunch of it wasn't there. I had to run a new power wire to the fuse box and a memory wire to the battery the old ground wire was still there so I used it. I had to run all new speaker wire I bought a marine radio and speakers so maybe they'd still work after it rained with the top off. But my problem was I did all that then hooked up the radio and plugged it in and the radio came on seemed to be working good all funtions worked. But I had no sound coming from the speakers. I messed with the ground wire I unhooked it and ran it straight to the - battery terminal and still no sound. I took the grounding wire off and sound came on for a couple of seconds and the the sound went away. Why was it working without the ground wire? But it had sound but just for a few seconds. I'm out of ideas and that fancy radio does me no good with no sound. Please help!!!

chk to make sure your speaker wires are not grounding out to ground. Is the dishplay working?

Ok I will check that. But if just one speaker was grounding out wouldn't the others still work? I just thought it was weird all 4 aren't working. And like I said when I unhooked the ground wire and reset the radio by unhooking by - battery and hooking it back up then the radio played for a couple of seconds then quit playing but the display stayed on it seems to work fine just the sound is the problem. Yes the display works as it should and all the funtions work just no sound.

First thing to do is go back and recheck all your wires. You should have 11 wires plus an antenna. Switched 12V from the fuse block, constant 12V also from the fuse block, or wherever, a ground wire and eight wires for the four speakers. The speakers are grounded through the radio ground wire. You possibly got a ground from the radio chassis touching the dash. But it does sound like you got some wires crossed.

Yes there are 11 wires plus antenna. Ill redo it all and just take my time and see what happens. Would it be possible that one speaker wire shorting out would cause none of them to play? Would that send the radio into protection mode?

I don't know. I have either never done that or don't remember doing so.

Yes there are 11 wires plus antenna. Ill redo it all and just take my time and see what happens. Would it be possible that one speaker wire shorting out would cause none of them to play? Would that send the radio into protection mode?

If it is a kenwood, yes it will go into protect mode. It is a protection feature, but also an anoying feature. Are all the speakers new? If a speaker has a short, the head unit will detect it and go into protect mode to avoid further damage. Before you go tracing every wire, thry this. When i had a similar issue with mine, I did troubleshooting by connecting only one speaker at a time and turning the head unit on. I found that the front left speaker had a short and replaced it. Since replacing the one speaker, I haven't had a problem since. Good luck.

Thanks everybody. I figured it put it was one of the speakers had a short in it and It would send the radio in protection mode and turn all the speakers off I never new the radio would go into protection mode because of a speaker. But thanks for all you replies.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks