7th annual Colorado trail ride

7th annual Colorado trail ride

mriplaybass

Full Time Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1979 CJ7 304 T18 w/6.32 lo d20 w/3.15 TeraLo D44 rear & D30 Front w/4.56 Eaton Elockers front and rear,
1959 CJ5,
1954 CJ3B,
1967 CJ5,
1947 IHC KB1,
1947 IHC KB2,
1947 IHC KS5,
1967 Mustang Coupe,
Wednesday & Thursday, August 8&9 2017

In spite of an above average number of mechanical problems, this was the best year yet for the Jeep-CJ Colorado trip.
This year, we count the trip as starting several days earlier than when we all met up in Ouray. Posi had purchased a Jeep in the Colorado Springs area since the last trip out, and was going to get it ready to go in about 3 days. Oldjeeplady and I came out Wednesday to help with the work.

Axles and carrier out

WP_20170810_002%20(Small).jpg

WP_20170810_003%20(Small).jpg

Posi pleased with the progress

WP_20170810_007%20(Small).jpg

Posi and Rad checking out the new G2 one piece axles

WP_20170810_015%20(Small).jpg

Rad & Bass installing new wheel cylinders

WP_20170810_016%20(Small).jpg

Shooby and Posi pressing new axles into bearings

WP_20170810_018%20(Small).jpg

Once the rear axle was reassembled, Posi talked Oldjeeplady into assembling the locker for the front axle. Although she resisted, a short time later, my wife had assembled her first locker.

Friday, August 10, 2017

Friday, Bill and Carol led us on a fantastic trail ride near Colorado Springs. It was the perfect testing ground for Posi’s new Jeep, and our newly rebuilt engine. Things went great!

Checking out a steep rock decent

Checking%20out%20rock%20desent.jpg

Posi spotting

Posi%20spotting%20me%20at%20steep%20rock%20CS.jpg

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

IMG_20170811_162639163%20(Small).jpg

IMG_20170811_143519413%20(Small).jpg

What a great prelude to the Ouray trail ride! I think that we all had just as much fun turning wrenches as we did on the trail. Bill and Carol were wonderful hosts, and made the long hours of wrenching seem to fly by. Maybe next year we can talk Bill into dragging out his 64 (?) CJ5, and we can all work on that.

Saturday, we all headed from Colorado Springs to Ouray

Sunday, August 13, 2017

A curious deer stayed pretty close to where we all stopped to take a break.

IMG_20170813_130419792_HDR%20(Small).jpg

The wall was just too wet to go up. Posi tried several times, and just spun his tires on the wet rock. So instead of going up the wall, several of us went up a muddy trail right next to the wall.

BillD going up the chute

Bill%20going%20up%20the%20chute.jpg

007 trying his luck

007%20going%20up%20the%20slide.jpg

Monday August 14, 2017

We had a few problems today. Since vapor in the fuel line was a problem the previous day. I was up with the sun, and began changing the carburetor and changing to an electric fuel pump that 007 had brought with him for just this reason. We headed out on the trail, but only made it as far as just past the mud hole on lower Engineer pass when we began to lose power. Rather than hold everyone up and risk damage to a new motor, we headed back to town. Turned out to only be the gasket on the choke adjustment was missing creating a massive vacuum leak. We decided to take a trip up Yankee Boy to test it out, and everything worked perfectly!

IMG_0051%20(Small).jpg

IMG_0053%20(Small).jpg

IMG_0052%20(Small).jpg

Tuesday August 15, 2017

We had a fuel line break right at the gas station in Telluride coming off Black Bear Pass. The my hands were so cut up from working on things, and the arthritis was in full swing that day, that we were just going to hang it up, take the road back to Ouray, and try to regroup. Fortunately, no one would hear of this. JR74 crawled under the Jeep, and everyone else pitched in by handing him tools and parts to splice the broken line, and in about ½ hour, we were on our way to Imogene Pass! Thank you JR and everyone else!
We made it as far as Tomboy mine where we stopped for a break. Just as I pulled up on a hill someone shouted to get off the hill! Gas was leaking on the tail pipe right at the tire! Again, fortunately, all it was was the line going to the roll over check valve. Pistol Dave immediately crawled under the Jeep, and with some advice from 007, bypassed the valve and we were once again on our way.
Not a lot of picture taking that day! But a few did get taken.

IMG_0055%20(Small).jpg

IMG_0056%20(Small).jpg

IMG_0057%20(Small).jpg

IMG_0060%20(Small).jpg

Posi’s buddies Blackie and Bobby

IMG_0061%20(Small).jpg

Shooby, JR74, PistolDave, &BillD

WP_20170815_001%20(Small).jpg

Lloyd Jr, Bobby, Carol, Cameron, Lloyd Sr.

WP_20170815_002%20(Small).jpg

Rad, Posi, Bobby, 007, Busadave

WP_20170815_003%20(Small).jpg

Wednesday August 16, 2017
Bear town site & Kite Lake

WP_20170816_001%20(Small).jpg

WP_20170816_006%20(Small).jpg

WP_20170816_004%20(Small).jpg

JR74 and I could not resist getting up on a rock for a photo opp. JR had gas start leaking from his fill cap, and the clutch bell crank popped off the pivot ball on our Jeep. A few minutes under the Jeep to put it back on, and we were on our way.

WP_20170816_002%20(Small).jpg

Thursday August 17, 2017
Poughkeepsie Gulch & Corkscrew Pass

Last night, our youngest son, Matt, flew in to Montrose to join us for the last 2 days of trail riding. This was his first time wheeling. His reaction? He plans on joining us again next year!

Shooby trying out his new rear locker on the wall

Shooby%20at%20Pougkeepsie%20wall%201.jpg

Shooby%20at%20Pougkeepsie%20wall%204.jpg

JR74 taking the middle of the wall

WP_20170817_001%20(Small).jpg

IMG_0065%20(Small).jpg

Lloyd at the wall

Lloyd%20at%20the%20wall.jpg

IMG_0066%20(Small).jpg

WP_20170817_012%20(Small).jpg

WP_20170817_013%20(Small).jpg

WP_20170817_014 (Small).jpg

Shooby, BillD, JR74, Oldjeeplady

WP_20170817_015%20(Small).jpg

Hagar getting a few pictures

WP_20170817_016%20(Small).jpg

Going over some rocks, we broke a rear shock. Matt immediately grabbed some tools, crawled underneath, and removed it.

WP_20170817_010%20(Small).jpg

WP_20170817_011%20(Small).jpg

Friday August 18, 2017
Black Bear Pass and Ophir Pass

WP_20170818_001%20(Small).jpg

Shooby giving me a reenactment of his expression going up Poughkeepsie Gulch wall.

WP_20170818_002%20(Small).jpg

WP_20170818_003%20(Small).jpg

Oldjeeplady and Matt

WP_20170818_004%20(Small).jpg

Oldjeeplady, Matt, and Bass

WP_20170818_006%20(Small).jpg

Shooby posing for Posi at the top of Black Bear

WP_20170818_007%20(Small).jpg

Matt standing on the top of the world

WP_20170818_008%20(Small).jpg

Our CJ7 “Chip”

WP_20170818_009%20(Small).jpg

WP_20170818_012%20(Small).jpg

Each year we meet new members and make new friends. This year was the best turn out ever since we have been coming. Everyone was great, and we look forward to next year. Thanks again to Dave for organizing the best trail ride we have ever been on. Several members of our family after listening to our recounts of past trips, and seeing the pictures and videos, have expressed an interest in possibly coming next year and renting a Jeep. And to think, just a few years ago, Dave was considering giving up on this event due to people’s lack of interest! I think that he has created a monster, although a very enjoyable one!

I am just learning how to edit and post videos, so rather than risk crashing our post again, (it has happened several times trying to post this much), I will just add them as I get them edited and posted to YouTube.
Enjoy!

:ty: Bass, great pictures and details.
So-How did the carb'd guys deal with the altitude?
LG

Most of them had no problems at all. Anyone who had the fuel tank under the seat did not have the heat against the fuel line from the exhaust pipe problem. Although, others with the tank in the rear, had no problem either. The first 2 years that we used this Jeep, we hardly had any problems at all. This year we had a fair amount of vapor problems in the fuel line. Go figure! New motor, and now there are vapor problems! I did notice that I had some problems crawling steep rocks causing the engine to overload on fuel, but I attribute this to the fact that I did not change the carb jets to the #45's that I usually use for altitude.
We have been considering EFI. Many in the group had that. Cost is the deciding factor. I may decide to install an in tank pump. That way the fuel will be under pressure throughout the entire system, and it will raise the boiling point of the fuel to a point where vapor in the lines should not be a problem.

Thanks for that trip report and pics Bass, it has to be just too much fun. Do you have the fuel filter that has the 1/4" return line? I know they came with the later CJs but not sure when AMC started using them. It was supposed to help with the vapor lock issue.

Thanks for that trip report and pics Bass, it has to be just too much fun. Do you have the fuel filter that has the 1/4" return line? I know they came with the later CJs but not sure when AMC started using them. It was supposed to help with the vapor lock issue.
I was just reading about that. I believe that the return line is a 3/16". All I know is that the rubber hose coming out of the bypass regulator feeding the small return line gets very hard when the pump is running. Whatever I decide to do for next year, is going to include a larger return line.

Bass-Are you sure your fuel system is circulating back to the tank? :confused:
Let me suggest, that you run a 3/8" steel feed line from the gas tank to the FP. OEM is 5/16" feed line.
Then run the 3/16" return line back to the tank.
Are you using the 3 port fuel filter? Make sure the smaller return line is at the 12 o'clock position and that this filter is at, or just a bit higher than the carb's bowl. Filter needs to be horizontal.
Another thing-At those altitudes, I have had best luck with the highest octane gas available.
Respectfully,
LG

Awesome pics Bass and OJL - it was great meeting you two too and Matt.

I've had 3 comments on my Telluride shirt since being back - mostly snow skiers, but one jeeper ;)

LG - Bass will be going through his entire fuel line at this point. We patched quite a bit of it together throughout the week. I need to get some better sealing gas caps! lol

I like that picture of the two of us on the rock Bass - looks so much smaller in the photo right?

I need to get my report completed... still haven't got the videos from Lloyd's laptop yet... Need to get over there.

Until next time (I think about got the wife talked into next year... ;) )

:chug:

I like that picture of the two of us on the rock Bass - looks so much smaller in the photo right?

Until next time (I think about got the wife talked into next year... ;) )

:chug:
It is amazing how much some of the rocks we crawled over look much smaller in the photos! Some of the dash cam videos that I have show them much more accurately.
Hope your wife decides to join us next year.

I know many of us have questions about operating carburated engines at high altitude. Myself included. So as to not hijack my own trail report, I started an open discussion in the drivetrain section.

I finally got a few more videos of our trip edited. Enjoy!

Tuesday August 15, 2017
Black Bear Pass

Wednesday August 16, 2017
Bear town Site/Kite Lake
Crossing the Rio Grande river

Thursday August 17, 2017
Bass and Matt going up Poughkeepsie gulch wall.

Friday August 18, 2017
Descending Black Bear pass steps into Telluride.

:ty:

Great videos! :chug:
LG

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks