7th Annual Colorado Jeep-CJ Trail REPORT Part 2

7th Annual Colorado Jeep-CJ Trail REPORT Part 2

Posi

Always Off-Roading Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
54 Willys 3B, FI 401, T-18, ARB Locked, Hinkey Sidewinder Winch
The group that was wheeling in Colorado Springs arrived in Ouray late Saturday afternoon. The group consist of Bill D and Carol, Bass and Old Jeep Lady, Shooby and 007, Rad and me.

Sunday: Poughkeepsie Gulch

I figured a great way to start the week would be to run PG first. I lead the above group, and PistolDave joined us as well.

The trail head is only 3 miles from Ouray. It had been raining off and on for most of the day.

36173933944_6097265c8e_c.jpg

36173933424_093cd08cac_c.jpg

36173933134_572dccc818_c.jpg

36173930554_e3761fb497_c.jpg

37009843385_58c3962b15_c.jpg

36173931074_0b2152cef2_c.jpg

When we arrived at the wall it was as expected, muddy and very slick. I gave it a go and made it up half way then slowly turned the tires in place until I backed down. We then went down Corkscrew back to Ouray. It was a good first day.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wednesday: Corkscrew to an old mine then to the red Mountains.

PistolDave, 007, Bobby and Blacky, me and Rad

We went up Corkscrew which is the best way to go on this trail. We took a side trail that was steep and enjoyed the scenery. We then drove 2 miles up county 35 to an old mine that still had machinery in place. We spent some time there checking out all the coolness. It was fun to figure out all the workings of the mine, didn't take lone with this group. We then decided to scout a trail on one of the Red Mountains. The trail was tight but once at the top it was a beautiful view and a great place to have lunch. After lunch we headed to Silverton.

36838563502_7d41d283de_c.jpg

36838564042_a61a20a11c_c.jpg

37009817625_7b36b95d9f_c.jpg

36838564512_be9e2f1633_c.jpg

37009816405_23f31d7b1d_c.jpg

Thursday: Poughkeepsie Gulch

PistolDave, Bill D and Carol, Bass and Old Jeep Lady, Jr, Loyd, Shooby, Bobby and Blacky, Todd, Me and Rad

Perfect day to run PG, it was dry and I knew the wall would be somewhat sticky. It's a fun trail to run and you can make it more challenging by taking the many side obstacle off the trail. I took everyone I could find and let the group know which way was easier. Everyone followed me! I'm not sure that would have happen in years past. Everyone has become, or already were good wheelers in this group!

Bobby and Black climb the wall in their tj first.
I was next and climbed the right side of the wall which I thought would be harder but my CJ just walked right up.
Jr was next and took the most difficult route and did very well climbing up and over. He got his front left tire about three ft off the ground but had nice control and keep moving on (had to be best pic of the week).
Loyd was next and went and took the right side of the wall. He had a slight problem woth his open front diff but he kept working at it until he was up and over.

Bass took the middle left side of the wall and walked right up.

PistolDave took the right side of the wall and walked right up as well.

Bill D took the left side and walked right up too.

Shooby took the left side and got his left tire in the air them climbed right up.

Everyone made it! Whoo Hoo! It was the first time for 4 of our members at the wall and all made it up.

I didn't take pics at the wall so hopefully others can add some pics and videos.

This is not the wall rather an obstacle further down the trail. Loyd catching some air.

37009814415_af30068e23_c.jpg

Friday: Black Bear Pass, Opher Pass, Brooklyn Trail

Bill D and Carol, Bass and Old Jeep Lady, Shooby, Me and Rad

Another beautiful day for wheeling. We made a few stops to take in the scenery and took a slow ride to the switchbacks. Once on the switchbacks we ran up on a ford 150 king cab.... I guess he missed the big sing at the trail had stating short wheel base vehicle only! Anyways, he couldn't make the second switchback, from the it got ugly. He tried to turn and back down the trail and got himself pinched between two rocks. PistolDave got out his jack and Bass jacked up the truck and we pushed the *** end over enough so he could back down.

Again, hopefully others will add input and pics to this thread.

36173908804_f5d4d5717f_c.jpg

36821301966_d8aeae4db6_c.jpg

37009813085_4c78a46e4f_c.jpg

36838556032_6f2e7fcc85_c.jpg

36821301216_3cf89ecfae_c.jpg

36868943781_0a09ac68eb_c.jpg

Brooklyn Trail

36821300866_3648557c11_c.jpg

36838554732_82248da479_c.jpg

Unfortunately it was late and I was tired when I posted last night. Please excuse the typos and having to click on each link to see the pics. I can't go back to edit the pics, maybe a mod can though.

Thanks for the report and pictures

Unfortunately it was late and I was tired when I posted last night. Please excuse the typos and having to click on each link to see the pics. I can't go back to edit the pics, maybe a mod can though.

I think you may have used Microsoft Word to format your trail report before posting it. Word tries to make links but actually messes them up. All I did was copy your posts, then I pasted them into Notepad and copied them back into the web page.
In the future I think you'll have better luck if you use Notepad instead of Word to format your report before posting them.

Thursday: Poughkeepsie Gulch

It's a fun trail to run and you can make it more challenging by taking the many side obstacle off the trail.
Everyone followed me! I'm not sure that would have happen in years past. Everyone has become, or already were good wheelers in this group!

The first 3 years no one wanted to go up Poughkeepsie Gulch or Black Bear. Now everyone is eager to do these twice in the week. Members are also taking on more challenging obstacles.

:ty: :rock:

What was the story with the truck, sideways on the trail?

LG

:ty: :rock:

What was the story with the truck, sideways on the trail?

LG

Pretty much as has been told. He ignored the signs at the top of Black Bear which very plainly say that the pass is for short wheel base vehicles only. He made it as far as the second switchback and failed to swing out far enough. When we got there, he was between two rock outcroppings - one at the front and one at the back - with about 18" of maneuver space. To compound his woes, he had a male relative spotting him who was dumber than a box of rocks. When our group finally got him out from between the rock outcroppings, he was facing uphill on a one way downhill VERY one-way road and facing at least a dozen vehicles. His only recourse was to back his behemoth about a quarter mile to the next switchback (with the continuing aid of his aforementioned spotter).
Black Bear Pass, while not particularly difficult, is intimidating and if you get stupid at certain places, a heck of a lot more than some bent sheet metal could ensue.

The dirt bike would have been a better option from the start:)

Understand the stupid you speak of.:rolleyes:
Can't tell you how many times I've pulled some knothead out, that had no business being on a trail. Some of these idiots didn't even have 4WD.
Last time, I had this clown with an attitude from hell. His GF(?)was cracking up at this clown's antics. Told him it will cost him $100.00 to pull him out. This 'fee' was only because of his 'tude'.:laugh:
BTW: He was alone, also.
I donated the $$$ to a local pet rescue I work with.:D
LG

Awesome Posi!

I'll get my videos of the wall up soon! Here's one that mriplaybass took from the top at the wall, and a couple others. I think I have video of most everyone's run up...

Forgive Bass - he was trying not to get run over! lol But he did get the end... He ran up the hill from when I started.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

In case issue with imbedded video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=5&v=A70X_rzq48Q

here's one of my Uncle (Lloyd) - his open front diff made it more difficult than it should have been... And he kept getting into a few holes... lol

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

In case issue with imbedded video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqo4rItieYQ

I'm trying to remove the audio in the other ones I just uploaded because my "commentary" is a bit annoying, but am having a bit of trouble with it and need to get back to work... I'll try @ lunch and see if I can get them added in here...

:chug:

Last edited:
Bet 'Lloyd' installs a locker/LSD in the front, PDQ. :poke:
74-Don't worry about the audio-We all have 'OFF' buttons. :D
LG

Excellent videos! I'm sitting at work reliving my vacation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Well done, and :ty: for posting them.
LG

This is a video of Poughkeepise Gulch trail
There is a point where the trail splits, to the left is the go around to avoid the wall, to the right leads to the wall. This video starts just after the split heading to the wall. However, after being out of my Jeep for awhile I forgot to turn my camera on when I went up the wall.

https://youtu.be/fhpVpZ0SdXg

:ty: Posi!
LG

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks